Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowl Gouge

WARNING!!! This post s by a woodworker who knows nothing about lathe work. But.........

When looking for a bowel Gouge I got the same advice 3/8 & 1/2" But got confused because I found brands can be measured different. Some are measured by the flute width others by the width of the whole tip. So one brands 3/8 may be another brands 1/2"

Maybe some experienced turners on here could give a better explanation.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Take a look at Doug Thompsons site. It has a good explanation of everything you'd want to know. In a nutshell, english (over there) measures across the flute, here, we measure across the tool. So, my Sorby 3/8 is the same size as Dougs 1/2".

Maybe for Christmas I'll buy myself a 5/8" Thompson.....

UK measurement - the flute diameter

US measurement - shaft (outside) diameter

at least that's how I understand it.

Also keep in mind that the "bowl" gouge from HF or Sears is really just a spindle gouge. Heck, my first Sorby "bowl" gouge was what I now concider to be a spindle gouge. I found out the hard way that a gouge with a flat tang (where it enters the handle) is NOT appropriete to have hanging over the tool rest while hollowing out a bowl. The Sorby "bowl" gouge that came in my Sorby starter set snapped off and gouged out my HAND! Yeah, ouch.

So I ordered a real 1/2 and 3/8 bowl gouge from them, and discovered what a real lathe tool looks, feels and works like. I got the first one replaced, but I only use it for pens and little stuff.

The moral of the story is buy at least one really good "real" bowl gouge. It would be hard for me to choose between the 1/2 and the 3/8, though. I use the 1/2 to rough and hoggin out a lot of wood while hollowing. The 3/8, for me, is my favorite. I use it to fiinsh almost all things after they are made round and basically roughed.

For under a $100 (at woodcraft) you can have one of these and it will change your turning experience. Im sure that Doug's tools are top of the line but for the newer turner, the aspect of turning your own handle might be too much. (I havent done this yet, but intend on doing it).

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stolicky View Post
    UK measurement - the flute diameter

US measurement - shaft (outside) diameter

at least that's how I understand it.
    So when we read a recommendation of a 3/8 or 1/2" are we taking US or UK?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

American tools measure diameter the rest of the world measures across the flute so I like a 1/2 diameter bowl gouge.

kenneth, my 'go to' tool is one of the first i ever bought, same day i got my first lathe. 5/8" ellsworth signature PM bowl gouge by Crown. i use it over anything, when applicable - boring, shearing, spindles - good size, minimal vibration, not too many catches .

Just to be sure are the 1/2 gouges you recommend 1/2 flute or total size of the overall gouge. I use the both terms but will be ordering the Thompson gouge and want to replace one which has a 1/2 flute size. I think Thompson's site refers to total size which I prefer but have been know to be wrong twice today already.
    Thanks

My Sorby 3/8, (1/2" across) is a good size. Probably get you by for years. Mine is a couple years old. I only want a bigger one because it should take off more wood, and everyone raves about the Thompsons. I'd like to own one, but see no sense in buying the same size, or a smaller one. IF I had known about them earlier, I probably get the same size I have now. It does a lot. small bowls big bowls (not real big, but big for me) boxes.

Ok, ya'll twisted my arm. I just put in an order for a 1/2" bowl gouge from Thompson. Guess I need to start practicing for a handle.
    Bo

How much money and/or time did "The Creek" save you today. I'll bet it was more than the cost of becoming a contributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    So when we read a recommendation of a 3/8 or 1/2" are we taking US or UK?
    Dave,

UK measures bowl gouges as the distance across the flute (so a 1/2" Hamlet is really a 5/8" bowl gouge). Canada (Oneway) and US (Thomspon, Glaser if you could find one) measure bowl gouges as the actual diameter of the stock. So a Thompson 1/2" bowl gouge and a Sorby 3/8" bowl gouge are the same size (but not the same type of steel, of course).

Everybody measures spindle gouges by the total diameter of the stock.

HTH

Try searching for "ash turning blank" on e-b--. I just got 5 for 15 bucks, IIRC, ships for free. They're cut offs from a bat blank I believe. If you want ash for a handle. Rather unremarkable wood, but strong. If you find the free shipping guy, he also had maple blanks. I'm all about cheap.... Free shipping is free shipping.

Good luck on your handle.