Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CNC placement

Always looking out for us newbies! Thanks, Jim.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage1 View Post
    So to get back on the topic of shops... what kind of fire extinquishers are you guys keeping on-deck? A law enforcement buddy tells me Halotron is the way to go, but a 5 lb Halotron is expensive!

Any advice?

And no, I'm not planning on a fire, but if one breaks out, I want to put it out quickly.
    I have a 20lb ABC, I think Halotron type are used to midicate damage to electrical and electronics. You could get away with a refillable water extinguisher if you had too, as your working with wood.. I have a refillable water extinguisher and it is the best dam squirt gun money can buy.
    Last edited by James Jaragosky; 11-17-2009 at 2:14 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jaragosky View Post
    I have a 20lb ABC, I think Halotron type are used to midicate damage to electrical and electronics. You could get away with a refillable water extinguisher if you had too, as your working with wood.. I have a refillable water extinguisher and it is the best dam squirt gun money can buy.
    Thanks, James. I'm going to look at the ABC's. I did notice that the halotron appeared to be for electronics, which I found to be a somewhat curious recommendation.

Time for more research.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

4. I'd like to know how you make the thing shrink... Image # to the dimensions of the unit are smaller than image #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hildenbrand View Post
    I'd like to know how you make the thing shrink... Image # to the dimensions of the unit are smaller than image #1.
    They are but the smaller of the two drawings is still oversize. I spent more time making the second drawing, and I didn't bother to go back and re-do the first.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 11-22-2009 at 11:24 PM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

6. That explains it then... So what did you decide on? Diagonal? I'm partial to #2 myself, but then, that depends on the average size of material and parts you'll be pushing out.. If they span the whole bed, you'll need more breathing room.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hildenbrand View Post
    That explains it then... So what did you decide on? Diagonal? I'm partial to #2 myself, but then, that depends on the average size of material and parts you'll be pushing out.. If they span the whole bed, you'll need more breathing room.
    If I can find the time I will make a cardboard mockup, otherwise I will have to make the final decision when I setup the machine.

I know option 1 will work, and I have that layed out with masking tape right now.

The problem with going diagonal might be that I might have to open the garage door to load/unload full length stuff. Fine in the summer, not good in the winter when it is -15 below or dumping snow.

Overall shop space is going to become cramped, but at least my rent is affordable which makes up for that.

Option 1 leaves me enough room to the left of the blade on my tablesaw to crosscut probably 95% of furniture parts. Plus I can load sheets of plywood up on-top of the tablesaw and use it as infeed/outfeed support for the shopbot.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 11-23-2009 at 1:44 AM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.