Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost Justify - Love or Money?

Cost Justify - Love or Money?

In Vancouver BC there are very few hardwood vendors and cherry is currently running about $6.50 a board foot. The project I am planning is this one which calls for about a 100 board feet (15% extra) or in other words $650. (no tax)

http://www.woodsmith.com/plans/classic-cherry-bed/

Now for comparison - this almost identical bed from a local Canadian retailer is asking a mere $500 ($300 at one of their clearance stores elsewhere in the country)

http://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/js...ump&navCount=0

So my question is this - on the whole do people here at the Creek almost always pay more for their own furniture versus bought furniture? As the title of my post implies, I put it to you that we do this for fun of the hobby, not for economic reasons, or am I wrong here in my assumption? Am I correct to assume that bought will always be cheaper than home made?

For years I have made the conscious decision NOT to buy furniture that I can make. I refuse to buy junk, and I can't afford to buy good furniture. Yes, I can buy furniture cheaper than I can make it, but there's no way that I can buy furniture of the same quality for anywhere near what I could make it for.

I'd be willing to bet that that bed is largely made up of a combination of small glued up pieces of hardwood or particleboard with a microscopically thin layer of veneer.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Quote Originally Posted by Don C Peterson View Post
    For years I have made the conscious decision NOT to buy furniture that I can make. I refuse to buy junk, and I can't afford to buy good furniture. Yes, I can buy furniture cheaper than I can make it, but there's no way that I can buy furniture of the same quality for anywhere near what I could make it for.

I'd be willing to bet that that bed is largely made up of a combination of small glued up pieces of hardwood or particleboard with a microscopically thin layer of veneer.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I can very seldom make anything cheaper than I can buy it but the quality of the things I make is much better than what I can buy.

That doesnt even take into consideration the love of doing it which contributes much more than cost.

I get this all the time when I quote a price. I get get that a such and such a store for less. Usually, by the time I have all the materials priced out it is already in excess of the cost of the finished project bought at a store.

I can almost guaranty that it wasn't made in the USA, it isn't a one of a kind and there is probably a lot of manufactured materials in it and a lot less solid wood than it looks.

If you are on a tight budget you will have to wait and save up or bite the bullet and just save the money/time and just do the horrible thing and buy it instead of make it.

$6.50 a board foot is too high. You need to find a better supplier ... and that's not always easy to do. I'm blessed with a local guy near me who cuts trees himself and sells cherry to me for $3 a bf. Its rough sawn, kiln dried, and needs to be surfaced but I can do that myself. Look in your local classified ads or call some tree service places ... I'm sure someone knows somebody who does it around you for cheaper.
    That being said even if you do find a lower price on wood, after you add the hardware, stain, poly, sandpaper, etc, its still going to be about the same (or more) as you can buy it for in the store. But yours will be much better quality.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

Malcom, Check out the last copy of Popular Woodworking. Great article by Mark Spagnoulo on Build It of Buy It. I agree with others on the quality of the buy-it bed you posted. Check out lumber suppliers that will ship to you as well. Even shipped cherry would be less than you are paying. Best of luck in finding a better price and the bed build.

Being Canadian myself, I'm all too familiar with the Brick who specializes in low to mid-quality (at best) furniture and other goods, bought by large quantity at the lowest price. Their selling feature is usually easy financing not excellent quality anything.
    So, if you can produce average or better quality workmanship, make it unique and personalized, use better quality materials etc, you will have an end product that is superior. There's also the sense of satisfaction that comes from having made something that is of heirloom quality that will last generations if properly cared for.
    As to price, The Brick is in the business to make money so they buy where and when they can get the bed for the absolute least cost. With our current economy, that may be from a distressed company selling at or below cost. Typically, material prices in Van are high compared to areas of the country nearer where cherry is plentiful, and it's worse still for those Canadian woodworkers living on the prairies. So you can seek better prices or consider alternate species that are less costly in your area but would provide a satisfactory appearance. I'm sure almost any domestic hardwood would look quite fine with that design.

Blog Entries
    It does cost more to make a quality version of a mass produced piece. The $500 bed would pale next to a handcrafted version of the same. That being said I have purchased furnishings for my home for less than I could buy the materials to make a proper one. These are just place holders so I don't look homeless whilst I populate my home with my own builds.

In this particular circumstance if there is a time pressure being applied by yourself or others, pick up the cheaper piece and use the extra money to buy material for matching nightstands. You will have the immediate gratification and the joy of building.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

junk

me and the wife were in jc penney and they had a morris chair for $899.00.from 20 feet away it looked decent.getting closer you could see it was veneered.on the back there was a chunk out of the back leg i dont know for sure i think it was particle board.that chair will probably last 5 or so years.

Blog Entries
    At my house it is not always about the cost. It is about the time. Many times SWMBO says she needs something either right now or within a period of time I am not either willing or able to meet. So she goes out and buys something I could have made, just not on her time schedule.
    Maybe I should change her name to SWHNP (She Who Has No Patience)
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Malcolm,

I know that bed you are thinking of building! I made one in Twin size for my daughter 12 years ago and it is one solid great looking bed. It has aged nicely and has that old cherry patina. I just rewaxed it for the first time a month ago and it shined up nicely! Make the bed and your family will cherish it for generations!
    Mac

Nicely said Mac.

You can't put a price on a family heirloom....

Justification? Let me see. I could have just went out and bought my grandaughter a desk and chair when she started school. Driving around to all the stores looking at all the boxed results,,,

My wife asked me one day "I would like you to build her a desk and chair." That's it. No preferences/nothing. I said fine. I went into my little shop and while my grandaughter was playing at the other end of the shop with her 'woods', I came up with this.

After the missus put the 'girly' stuff on it, my grandaughter uses it Every day. Dinner/homework/coloring,etc.
    Here with her laptop courtesy of 'PopPop'.

Cost=$0 (Stock supplies)
    Time=2 hours.
    Enjoyment= Priceless.
    Dan Manning

Dan, that is just wonderful. Brought a smile to my face, and a glow to my heart. This is part of why woodworking is so appealing.

I agree with Ken. so many people rate their woodworking on exotic lumber used, type of joinery, finishes, inlays, etc.............this is a piece that will long be cherished and I bet passed down.