Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your Bench

Greg , What kind of wood?
    And Dave those plane pics are killers, I've got to make a big jointer some day.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Greg , What kind of wood?
    Leigh, the top is Australian Jarrah, there is Karri, Spotted Gum and Tasmanian Oak in the frame along with some Sydney Bluegum

I've put a small list below so you can compare the relative hardness of the timbers.

Janka hardness:

4500 Lignum Vitae
    2340 Mesquite
    2473 Spotted Gum
    2030 Karri
    2023 Sydney Bluegum
    1910 Jarrah
    1860 Purpleheart
    1350 Tasmanian Oak
    1725 African Padauk
    1300 American Beech
    1136 Cocobolo
    1010 North American Walnut
    1000 Teak
    830 African Mahogany

The bench top weighs 250kg (551 lbs), altogether it will weigh 545kg (1200 lbs). DIM 24" x 5" x 8' 6", top is 36" off the floor
    Last edited by Greg Millen; 08-15-2010 at 7:28 AM.

So far, my favourite project.
    White beech, steamed beech, ebony, sugar maple drawer sides, baltic birch plywood drawer bottoms.

My bench features 18" wide bookmatched raised front panels, 17" wide bookmatched raised end panels, and a 15 9/16" wide single board top, all from one plank. 12 drawers, handcut dovetails, bookmatched curly beech fronts. NOS Record pop-up planing stop. Veritas Tucker vise with handcarved recess and modified Veritas Twin Screw vise, custom handles from the same curly board as the drawer fronts. Handcarved letters. Ebony wedges, plugs, dovetail guides, vise knob. Steam bent lamination coffee cup holder, homemade beech cam action hold downs.

460 lbs empty, 600+ lbs with tools

Main work done weekends May-September 2009, completed March 2010.

The behind the scenes blog starts here, Sawmill thread is here.

Over the last few months I've been making custom boxes and trays for my tools. I really like french fit drawers, but the I decided that was too permanent for my ever changing tool arsenal. These are flexible, fun to make, and keep me practising my hand cut joinery.

Darnell

Charlie, amazing bench....can you show us the lift mechanism, and how a power drill can raise / lower it? I assume it can be done by hand also?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Millen View Post
    Leigh, the top is Australian Jarrah, there is Karri, Spotted Gum and Tasmanian Oak in the frame along with some Sydney Bluegum

I've put a small list below so you can compare the relative hardness of the timbers.

Janka hardness:

4500 Lignum Vitae
    2340 Mesquite
    2473 Spotted Gum
    2030 Karri
    2023 Sydney Bluegum
    1910 Jarrah
    1860 Purpleheart
    1350 Tasmanian Oak
    1725 African Padauk
    1300 American Beech
    1136 Cocobolo
    1010 North American Walnut
    1000 Teak
    830 African Mahogany

The bench top weighs 250kg (551 lbs), altogether it will weigh 545kg (1200 lbs). DIM 24" x 5" x 8' 6", top is 36" off the floor
    That's a goofy list. Cocobolo is harder than everything on it other than lignum vitae. Other than that, the numbers look OK, but it just stares you in the face when you see a list that says it's softer than beech.

6. Combination work bench and outfeed table. Aluminum extrusion all bolted together (dont know how to weld). Swivel type leveling feet. Baltic birch sub-top. HDPE plastic top. Wilton wood vise and round brass bench dogs. Shelf is OSB for now, eventually want to replace it with clear Lexan

Love Rick T's Bench

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas love View Post
    Rick T, Really like this bench , one of my favorites.
    I second this statement. Love Rick T's bench. Well made, but not overly unnecessarily complex; looks superbly functional. It's like a beefed up version of Chris Schwarz's English Nicholson Bench. You've built the exact bench that I've been envisioning building for myself some day. Awesome!

Greg, all that heavy kangaroo wood no wonder Australia drifted down under! Looks like on heck of a bench you have going.

Darnell, sure like those boxes and trays. Gives me some more ideas!
    Last edited by Leigh Betsch; 08-15-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    That's a goofy list. Cocobolo is harder than everything on it other than lignum vitae. Other than that, the numbers look OK, but it just stares you in the face when you see a list that says it's softer than beech.
    The list is 'goofy' because one item is in question? The list was simply an indicator of where the woods I used sit relative to some woods those in the US may be familiar with. The data was drawn from Wikipedia (I know, I know) as it was convenient. Cocobolo is listed as 1136 on a number of sites, not just Wiki. There is a site that claims it to be 2200, another at 3345, which is correct? I am not aware of an official source for this data - is there one?

Anyway, it was only intended as a rough guide, not an academic paper.
    Last edited by Greg Millen; 08-15-2010 at 11:19 PM.

10. Dave I was just looking at that bench from American Woodworker! I am pretty sure I will do something like that.

My latest bench 36 by 123.

Tom what's that 4ft timber sticking out the front do for ya. Looks like it's suspended somehow, How you do dat?
    The Plane Anarchist

Ok Tom I see How you do dat. But Why you do dat?
    The Plane Anarchist

It's called a cooper's jointer. It's a long plane mounted upside down. You move the board over the plane instead of the plane over the board.

French box makers are shown in Diderot using a cooper's type plane,but mounted horizontally on 4 legs,to plane short lengths of wood just as we do on a modern jointer. I've thought it would be nice to make 1,but it serves no real practical application for me,and space is limited in my shop.