Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Licensed product re-sale

Licensed product re-sale

If I purchase a licensed team product (pro or college) like a patch or pin ect, can I add that to my product and re-sell it without any additional permissions from the team? The only modification I will make to the licensed product is to drill and tap a hole for mounting.

Any thoughts welcome

Randy Walker
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8
    Randy Walker aka woodchuck
    Duck River Woodturners VP
    TAW member, Symposium comity member
    Volunteer Woodturners member
    Dickson Woodturners member

Blog Entries
    Very sticky area there. My personal feeling is once you've purchased an item, you're free to do with it as you please. Unfortunately, the law is not in agreement (look at software license agreements... though those are slowly changing for the better). Once you sell it as a product, if you include a team logo on it, it gets sticky fast. Even if you're licensed to use the logo or logo-bearing products, your particular license must spell out any modification you intend to make to the product/logo.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

That's correct, it's asking for trouble. Most entities will have their licensing rules on the website, and in order to sell their product in any form, altered or not requires that you pay them a lot of money, hundreds of thousands. Look at the NFL, at the link below as an example:

https://www.nfl.info/NFLConsProd/Wel...Prequalify.htm

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Major pro sports teams as well as colleges can be real tough on that.

They like to have TOTAL control over marketing items, if you'll read through a licensing agreement you'll get a better understanding of their control over most aspects.

If you do a couple a year and it doesn't put them in bad light you may get by. Typically it starts with a cease and desist letter. If you continue after that it can get real nasty.

Say for example you bought a pin and attached it to a hat you make okay not too bad, but say you take that same pin and incase it in lucite with cow manure. Same pin that you bought and paid for but chances are good you would
    hear from that organization a whole lot quicker and with whole lot nastier tone.

I avoid even engraving a logo here or there on a plaque as technically I shouldn't do that with out a license agreement. Would I get caught doing one here or there probably not.

If you never read an agreement you ought to you will be amazed!

I wanted to market MLB photos I shot, I got their licensing "packet"
    The scope was incredible! It was to a point if I licensed a photo, and decided to offer it framed and unframed I needed a seperate license for each! If a player was involved I had to go through the player's union also!

Most of licensing goes through the governing body. Baseball, MLB Football, NFL etc and not the individual teams.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

WOW they realy don't want little guy's like me to make and sell thier products. With conditions like that I will never be able to make my products. Thanks Joe for the link and everyone for all of the feedback. I guess that Im back to the drawing board.

Randy Walker
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8
    Randy Walker aka woodchuck
    Duck River Woodturners VP
    TAW member, Symposium comity member
    Volunteer Woodturners member
    Dickson Woodturners member

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Walker View Post
    WOW they realy don't want little guy's like me to make and sell thier products.
    No, they want the big guys to do it... that way, they can more easily keep track of the product line.

I doubt very much that they would agree to you doing that. I'd be more inclined to think that if they found out that they would come down on you like a ton of bricks.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

My opinion is that you wouldn't likely have a problem as you purchased a legal item for your own use. You didn't copy it, nor recreate it, nor in any way attempt to deprive the owner nor the re-seller of their just due.

I know I have just opened the door to the naysayers but.....
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Mike,

If you purchased a team pin and embedded it into a solid block of opaque plastic so you couldn't see the pin, that's probably okay (though if you advertised the specific team being used, they might go after you). The moment the item is visible, however, you fall under the rules of logo use. It's not just the pin as a physical item (I agree with you, I purchased it, they made their money, I should be able to use it however I wish). They would argue dilution of value with their logo...and win.

I agree that you are asking for trouble unless you pay licensing fees.

How about you modify your product to include the branded patch, pin or whatever you want to use so it does not need to be altered (ie. a hole in it). Then sell your item side-by-side with the branded item and let the consumer do the attachment (include some double-sided tape). Then your product stands on it's own and there should be no problem. You will also benefit by having less inventory of your product this way.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Here's another one. I used to manufacture hard shell skins for Apple laptops. Consumers requested that I cut an apple shaped hole in them to expose the lighted logo on the machine. Sounded doable. It was just a hole. The problem would have been when the skins were not on the computer, the hole would have been perceived as an Apple logo. I would have benefited from the "use" of their logo (as a hole) and Apple would not have been happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    How about you modify your product to include the branded patch, pin or whatever you want to use so it does not need to be altered (ie. a hole in it). Then sell your item side-by-side with the branded item and let the consumer do the attachment (include some double-sided tape). Then your product stands on it's own and there should be no problem. You will also benefit by having less inventory of your product this way.
    Don't you need to be a licensed reseller of the item for that to work? You may have just moved the problem from one document full of fine print to another.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Not the right thing to do at all -- but this discussion brings this question to mind

What's easier..asking your SO for permission to have an affair or just having one and groveling after if you found out?
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Don't you need to be a licensed reseller of the item for that to work? You may have just moved the problem from one document full of fine print to another.
    From my understanding, the items would be purchased from a licensed manufacturer or distributor. Just like any retail store that sells branded T-shirts or hats. If it's not altered in any way and not a component of your product there shouldn't be any issues. Your product is essentially converted to a frame or display for the branded item.

Dan

They would argue dilution of value with their logo...and win.
    Surely your point would apply to some of those who wear NASCAR shirts and Raiders shirts as well.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7