Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting plywood device?

Lifting plywood device?

Having a bad back has made getting sheets of plywood moved around a bit difficult, especially when there's no one to help, so I picked up a small electric winch and will use that to lift the plywood off my rack and onto the table to work on or from the truck to the rack..

I have been trying to find clamps that tightens as pressure is put on it but won't mar the plywood, not as easy a task as I thought...any suggestions?
    tia

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

How about one or two of these:

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12893

Smile Gorilla Gripper . . .

Contact the Gorilla Gripper people . . .or McMaster Carr
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Thanks guys.
    Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

was at the checkout counter at Highland a week ago, guy in front of me bought one. the Highland guy said they had brought in a dozen on a whim, and they were flying off the shelf - multiple restocking reorders.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Smile If you . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    was at the checkout counter at Highland a week ago, guy in front of me bought one. the Highland guy said they had brought in a dozen on a whim, and they were flying off the shelf - multiple restocking reorders.
    If you are wimpy like me, get two, than the wife can help you . . .two people on a sheet of 23/32" is a lot easier . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

7. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    How about one or two of these:

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12893

What I wanna know is what's with the loft in the "See what Gorilla Gripper can do for you" video.

Guessing it's a loft built 7' off the shop floor for wood storage? But I also see many tools up there... Perplexing.

Oh... And I'm sold.. This is certainly on the buy it soon list.

BTW (edit 2) This is currently $38.53 shipped free via Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007TYCA8/
    Last edited by Scott Hildenbrand; 11-16-2009 at 12:47 PM.

+1 for the Gorilla Gripper! Really made lugging around some 3/4" sheets much easier. Didn't see any marks in the veneer but the test will be when I finally get to the finishing stage.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

I've heard some negative comments about the Gorilla Gripper, that it doesn't work as well or as easily as advertised. I'd want to try it out before I buy.

Here's how I solved this problem. What I did was take a 3-foot length of 2x2, attach a couple of large vinyl-coated bicycle hooks that I had around to one side. I ran about 4' of cord from one hook to the other, with a piece of plastic conduit in the middle as a handle. To carry plywood, I stand it up inside the big hooks (hooks pointing down), then grab the handle and carry the whole thing under my arm. I find this is much kinder on my shoulder than the overhand grip you need with the commercial device. And the vinyl coating prevents excessive pressure on the plywood itself, so I've never had so much as a dimple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Kay View Post
    I've heard some negative comments about the Gorilla Gripper, that it doesn't work as well or as easily as advertised. I'd want to try it out before I buy.
    It takes a little getting used to, but once you have the hang of it, it works great, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven DeMars View Post
    If you are wimpy like me, get two, than the wife can help you . . .two people on a sheet of 23/32" is a lot easier . . .

Steve
    Steve - you are exactly correct, but that creates one BIG issue. I keep outta her gardens. She keeps outta my shop (one year for Christmas, I got her a well-equipped toobox for her to use, rather than getting MY tools outta MY shop. Mistake. BIIIIG mistake. Don't do that. But that's in the past, and it is still MY SHOP)
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I really like the gorilla gripper, I bought mine on a whim at toolup in San Diego. I have used it on 4x8' sheets of 3/4" maple and oak ply and haven't seen any damage to the veneers.

My wife loves it, I rarely ask her for help moving sheet goods around any more.

Mike

+1 on the gorilla gripper. I have one of those plastic hook things that you use to carry from underneath and it's useless compared to the Gorilla gripper. I like the overhand grip of the gorilla gripper.

The Gorilla Gripper is great.

If you have 2 people J-Handles are also great, if the material is light and thin you can carry multiple sheets with these.

I had on order some time ago a panel lifting cart made by Shop Cart USA. Unfortunately the big job I wanted it for got canceled. I also believe a knock-off was carried by Haefle. It was about 1000.00 but lifted and moved panels for you. Found the site! ...look for the panel handler

http://www.shopcartsusa.com/

Paul
    Last edited by Paul B. Cresti; 11-16-2009 at 6:53 PM. Reason: website addition