Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifting plywood device?

In addition to the Gorilla lifter, get a drywall carrier

The Gorilla lifter is great for getting sheets off the ground and moving them around, but if you need to put them on a table it is hard to lift the panel high enough. I use it in combination with a drywall carrier (I got mine from HD, less than $10):

After I get it off the ground with the Gorilla lift I use this to raise it to table level.

Roger

I have one of those. It's OK, but I've hurt my shoulder more than once using it.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    How about one or two of these:

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12893

FYI, I contacted the Gorilla Gripper people after I tried to use it for some aluminum treadplate. Evidently, there is either an adapter, or another model, as the treadplate was too thin to get a good grip. It works pretty well for 3/4" stuff (never tried 1/2" yet).

I checked McMaster and they have what I used to used for sheet metal it looks like, great for metal, not so good for plywood.

The Gorilla gripper looks like what I'll pick up, 2 ought to work just fine, all I need to do is lift the plywood off the rack (rack is on wheels) and then I can grab the bottom of the plywood and bring horizontal so my assembly table fits underneath it.

Then I can cut to managable sizes.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

maybe a little off subject since you already purchased a wench. WoodTek panel carrier from Woodworker Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    maybe a little off subject since you already purchased a wench. WoodTek panel carrier from Woodworker Supply

I think I'd still have the problem of getting the plywood onto the carrier?

the other thing is, when not in use the winch just hangs from the rafters out of the way..I have to much stuff on the floor already..
    But thanks anyway.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    I think I'd still have the problem of getting the plywood onto the carrier?

the other thing is, when not in use the winch just hangs from the rafters out of the way..I have to much stuff on the floor already..
    But thanks anyway.

Al
    Put the carrier on the winch.

Here's another option

Peachtree woodworker's supply carries a pretty good one. I like it better than the little plastic gorilla (which I also have) because you don't have to bend over so far to pick up the board.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/shop_accessories.htm#1219

# 1219 large panel toter is the description

I have a pair of the Gorilla Grippers and found them to work well if used correctly but if not, they can be dangerous to life and limb. If you accidentally tap the sheet you are carrying on the bottom the Gripper will open and release the sheet. I have damaged more than a few sheets of drywall this way.
    I actually like the plastic "L" shaped device better than the Gripper and it is a whole lot cheaper.
    It is and will probably always be easier and safer if two people are used to manage sheet material especially if it weighs more than a few pounds.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    FYI, I contacted the Gorilla Gripper people after I tried to use it for some aluminum treadplate. Evidently, there is either an adapter, or another model, as the treadplate was too thin to get a good grip. It works pretty well for 3/4" stuff (never tried 1/2" yet).
    I believe 3/8" is the recommended minimum thickness. Just for giggles I tried 1/4" and that is definitely too thin for the G.G. to work correctly.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Sometimes I just use a hammer to help me carry plywood. If you stand in the center of the sheet you can use the claw of the hammer to support the bottom of the sheet and your other hand to grab it on top. It basically works the same as the drywall lifter that Roger Jensen posted.

Personally, I find the hand and arm position more comfortable for this type of carrier. It's just a simple, wide, hook with a very comfortable handle. It also works very well for lightweight items, like hollow-core doors, etc. It's available at just about any lumber yard or hardware store.
    Last edited by Wayne Cannon; 11-17-2009 at 7:17 PM. Reason: Terminated entry prematurely.

I made a lifting jig that uses the shop vac for suction. It'll lift a 3/4 sheet of MDO/ Plywood with out any problem. it dose have trouble with 1/4 ply because it bows too much 1/2 on up no problem. If you want more info E-mail me at lesak@sainet.net. been using this for about 5 years now and haven't lost a sheet yet. Dale
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

I've got both the Gorilla and a panel tote like the one from Peachtree. Each has it's place, but for heavy stuff, I find the panel tote easier to use due to hand position - it's more comfortable and easier to pull up than push up.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome