Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM2800 Drill Press

PM2800 Drill Press

I have read a few thread about people complaining about the PM2800 but the posts were a little older. Have things improved at all? I just got the promo email this morning of $899 with free shipping. That is a lot of money not to be happy.

Drew
    I've had mine for about a 1.5 years.Used for 99% WWing. I like it. It drills straight true holes. The laser cross hairs are aligned and work. I wasn't really prepared for them to be so accurate thought it was going to just be a gimmic. The quill travel (4" ?) has always been suffcient for me .. YMMV.

The main reason I bought it was for the VS on the fly. Had an older Craftsman belt changer and was a PITA for me ... I know it only takes a minute to change speed on that type but ....

Extension wings I have only utilized once boring into 3 ft long 4x4 maple legs. On my Cman that caused the thing it to want to tip over. Low speed is 400 RPM ... I have run 3" Forstner bits no problem and up to 5" circle cutters. Integral T-Track is great.
    I only wish the tables were ground a little smoother. The integrated light sucks so I have mag based light dedicated to it.
    Thats it I'd buy it again
    Last edited by Dan Lee; 11-16-2009 at 8:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    They did have a rough start. My real concern would be the speeds available as they apply to woodworking. I generally turn circle cutters, hole saws or large Forstner bits in the 250 to 300 range. If my DP would go slower than 250, I am sure I would use that. The 2000 to 4000 RPM range is pretty darn fast in woodworking for me. For example, the Delta runs 200 - 2500 for its VS range. (I'm not pushing Delta, this is just an example). Then again, I rarely use the DP for little drills. VS in a DP would be a wonderful feature that mine does not have. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons as they will apply to you. For me the low end at 400 RPM is a deal breaker.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-16-2009 at 8:37 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn,

I was all about the Delta 20-950 20-Inch Variable Speed DP but when I went to look at the Delta site today it seems as if they scrapped a ton of their line up. Now it is only 1 bench top and 1 floor model. Whats the story there? 17" 3/4 hp with no VS ?

What would you buy?

Dan,

i had read that the fit and finish like you mention about the smoothness of the table was subpar. I am glad to read you are happy with yours! Thanks for the reply!

I was just watching the video "IWF 2006: Delta Updates The Drill Press" on finewoodworking.com. Did they ever release the DP with digital read out?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    They did have a rough start. My real concern would be the speeds available as they apply to woodworking. I generally turn circle cutters, hole saws or large Forstner bits in the 250 to 300 range. If my DP would go slower than 250, I am sure I would use that. The 2000 to 4000 RPM range is pretty darn fast in woodworking for me. For example, the Delta runs 200 - 2500 for its VS range. (I'm not pushing Delta, this is just an example). Then again, I rarely use the DP for little drills. VS in a DP would be a wonderful feature that mine does not have. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons as they will apply to you. For me the low end at 400 RPM is a deal breaker.
    Glenn
    I often hear this low RPM claim made for circle cutters. The one I have from LV recommends under 500 RPM. Like I said I use large Forstner bits and circle cutters at 400 no problem. Major key is to clamp the work piece to the table
    Do you have a cite for 250-300 RPM and what is the reasoning?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lee View Post
    Glenn
    I often hear this low RPM claim made for circle cutters. The one I have from LV recommends under 500 RPM. Like I said I use large Forstner bits and circle cutters at 400 no problem. Major key is to clamp the work piece to the table
    Do you have a cite for 250-300 RPM and what is the reasoning?
    My circle cutter states maximum speed of 500 RPM. Cuts cleaner and smoother at lower speeds so my super-scientific reason is the result .
    My DP is a Delta 17-950 which is an OK machine after a bearing fix and a table-raiser pinon and gear track replacement in the first year of light service (therefor my statement that I wasn't pushing Delta ). A beefier machine with more power would probably behave differently. I run 3/4" Forstners at about 600 RPM, smaller ones faster.

Bradpoint bits give me a much cleaner starting hole (when they'll be exposed like for peg holes) at speeds slower than recommended. Split-points do better at the speeds recommended on most charts.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Sanderson View Post
    Glenn,

I was all about the Delta 20-950 20-Inch Variable Speed DP but when I went to look at the Delta site today it seems as if they scrapped a ton of their line up. Now it is only 1 bench top and 1 floor model. Whats the story there? 17" 3/4 hp with no VS ?

What would you buy?
    I was saving for the Steel City but it is smaller than you are looking at. A great deal came up on the Delta 17-950 so I go it. It has worked out OK but there were a couple warranty issues the first year. I can't really recommend it as one to get but, as I said; its done OK. As a side note; the absence of the 6" stroke that made the Steel City so attractive has not been missed.

Since I have made my peace with this unit, I have not been looking at DP's so I will let someone who has been doing their homework chime in. As Dan states in his post, the lack of lower speeds has not bothered him. I have not never had a 1HP+ drill press so my impressions are based on 3/4HP and below machines.

– Samuel Butler

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    My circle cutter states maximum speed of 500 RPM. Cuts cleaner and smoother at lower speeds so my super-scientific reason is the result .
    My DP is a Delta 17-950 which is an OK machine after a bearing fix and a table-raiser pinon and gear track replacement in the first year of light service (therefor my statement that I wasn't pushing Delta ). A beefier machine with more power would probably behave differently. I run 3/4" Forstners at about 600 RPM, smaller ones faster.

Bradpoint bits give me a much cleaner starting hole (when they'll be exposed like for peg holes) at speeds slower than recommended. Split-points do better at the speeds recommended on most charts.
    Well there we go I've had better results with circle cutters in some cases (no burning) at 500-600 RPMs. And for me defintely higher speed the better for brad points

I looked at the 2800's and was not impressed, quality control issues abound, noisy drives, vibrations, sloppy quills this is not typical PM machinery more like Chinese out sourcing. I refuse to support PM's commitment to higher profit margins at my expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Vogel View Post
    ing. I refuse to support PM's commitment to higher profit margins at my expense.
    Are they trying to kill their brand?

It seems this whole country is trying to kill their brands for sake of short term high profits. I remember back in the early 90's the Japanese warned the US that American mfg. was only concerned of next quarters profits not long term commitments.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Vogel View Post
    ..........quality control issues abound, noisy drives, vibrations, sloppy quills..........
    OK, Dana - what alternatives - with comparable features - would you be looking at? Not a jab, a sincere inquiry.

Thanks
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.