Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raised panel door - mini success

Raised panel door - mini success

Finally decided to try to make a raised panel "door" instead of a flat piece of ply for the panel. Rails and stiles were a piece of cake. Must admit though the panel really made me nervous. Of course, the nervousness came in the fact that I could not make just any raised panel - I had to make a mini one for the side of a jewlry box. It came out ok. But I really need to work on a better hold down system for the small panels. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking.
    Betsy
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's absolutely lovely, Betsy! Sometimes I think that things like this actually have greater effect than they do on large projects. Wonderful! ('Can't wait to see the whole box...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nicely done Betsy.!!! I like the raised panel and it all looks like you did a really fine job on the cutting and assembly.!!! I can't wait to see the whole box when you are done.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Nicely done Betsy.!!! I like the raised panel and it all looks like you did a really fine job on the cutting and assembly.!!! I can't wait to see the whole box when you are done.
    Thanks Dennis and Jim. I have to be honest though - it was supposed to be for a tissue box cover - but I measured just a weeeeee bit off - and so now it's for a jewlry box!!! I, of course, blame the poor measuring on the fact that the only tissue box I had had crushed sides - so that had to be the problem.

But as they say there are no mistakes in woodworking - but opportunites!!

Thanks for your kind comments.
    Betsy

Congratulations! You've just proved you are a true woodworker...you've acknolwedged a most important premise...some projects go through several design revisions before the wood agrees with what the final product will be!

Are you planning to cut the rail and stile down to a more proportionate size? The way it is now, they over whelm the raised panel. But good job none the less.<O</O<O</O

Looks great for a first try! Mine was a flat panel, but it wasn't nearly as nice as yours....congrats!!

Looks good

Betsy great first result!! Raised panels are fun and worth the effort. Good Job!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by mike lucas
    Are you planning to cut the rail and stile down to a more proportionate size? The way it is now, they over whelm the raised panel. But good job none the less.<O</O<O</O
    Mike - glad you asked - I really pondered the porportion size for the rails. I'm porportioned challenged for sure. Besides the ole "it looks good to me" is there a formula for the right porportions for these types of projects????

Besty that's easy----if you like it---it's great. That's the formula I use.
    If any one ask just tell them--- it can out just the way you had planned.
    Plus I like it the size it is.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max
    Besty that's easy----if you like it---it's great. That's the formula I use.
    If any one ask just tell them--- it can out just the way you had planned.
    Plus I like it the size it is.
    Thanks Gary - that's a pretty good formula!!

Betsy

Regarding your quest for a hold-down for small parts, has anybdy tried this product that Lee Valley sells. I think it might work well for this situation, but I've never tried it.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...urrency=1&SID=

(The price is in Canadian dollars on that link)

Steve

13. Betsy, you keep taking giant steps in your progress as a box maker! Your raised panel looks fine. Someone in another thread regarding words of wisdom for the shop said that you should keep challenging yourself with more difficult projects. Absolutely! Each time you try you learn and the more you learn the better you get. Have fun!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Evans
    Betsy

Regarding your quest for a hold-down for small parts, has anybdy tried this product that Lee Valley sells. I think it might work well for this situation, but I've never tried it.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...urrency=1&SID=

(The price is in Canadian dollars on that link)

Steve
    WOW - now that's what I like someone who knows where to find things!!! thanks Steve. I think from that picture I can actually make something similar and see if it will work.

Michael - thanks for the kind words - I'm hoping to be good enough to sell some of the boxes some day to help offset the tool buying disease I seem to have picked up. But we'll see about that!
    Betsy

15. Betsy, I enjoy selling to help pay for my woodworking addiction but I think, no, I know I give away a lot more than I sell. That is more fun actually. I guess that is why it is an avocation for me instead of a vocation, huh?
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.