Thread: bookcase door

Question bookcase door

I had a call today she wants bookcases on hinges to conceal a doorway.
    Anyone do something like this before?
    is there a place for hardware to do this?
    Mike

Mike, I did a google search for the phrase "bookcase door". Got some hits on doors for bookcases but also a thread on Bob Vila's forum.

Didn't read through it but there were a lot of replies. The rest of the search wasn't too fruitful.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 10-01-2004 at 8:07 AM. Reason: Removed a direct link to another public forum - violates SMC Terms of Service

Hi Mike,

I have see a company at the home shows here in Phoenix selling this type of product. They are 8" deep bookcases used as closet doors. Kind of neat idea two features in one. They are expensive but the company I saw ther workmanship seemed above average. I unfortunately do not remember the name of the company of if they sold the hardware. (not really any help am I, sorry). Just thought that if you have a home show coming up in your area you could give it a shot. I think we have one coming here to Phoenix in a week or two. Maybe a creeker who is going could get you info from the company.
    Good Luck

Tim Palmer

Blog Entries
    I would imagine that you could build a bookcase door similar to a pantry door. You'll probably want to build them using plywood for the door part so you have the lateral rigidity you will need. You would need to use some hefty piano hinges as books are heavy. I don't think the cheap ones you buy at the local home centers are going to hold that much weight over a long period of time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This site - Hidden Door Company - might give you some ideas.

You also might want to check out Soss Hinges for ideas on high quality hidden hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Evertsen
    I had a call today she wants bookcases on hinges to conceal a doorway.
    Anyone do something like this before?
    is there a place for hardware to do this?
    The key issue is the hinges and the way they are fastened to the wall framing. If you're going to fill a door-sized bookcase with books, it could weigh several hundred pounds. If you use 3 or 4 of the heftiest entry-door hinges, and long mounting screws so you anchor into the studs, you might get by. However, with a heavy bookcase, you may well stress the wall.

A much better hinging solution is something like Rixon pivots. These are commercial door pivots which carry the weight of the bookcase/door down to the floor. They're intended to support very heavy doors. http://www.ysgsecurity.com/library/c...X%20Pivots.htm
    They also have adjustments built in to them, so you can tweak their position if the door or the house settles.

Jamie

I recall a large tool cabinet in one of the woodworking magazines that is essentially large swinging doors/shelves. It had a small wheel on the bottom to support some of the weight. Depending on the flooring, this could be an option to help reduce stress on the walls/hinges.

I bought the book Built In Furniture (I can't remember who published it) and it has several styles of library shelf hidden doors. There are fairly detailed drawings of the mechanisms as well.

Jerry,

I think Jim Tolpin (of Tablesaw Magic reknown) authored that book. Taunton's is the publisher I think....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.