Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which variable speed drill press would you buy?

Which variable speed drill press would you buy?

Which variable speed drill press would you buy?

None, which is why I don't have a drill press yet

I originally ordered the 20" Delta, only to find out a few months later they don't make it anymore.

I read some lukewarm reviews of the PM 2800, plus the low speed is an issue as discussed in your other thread.

The General might be good, but it's pretty expensive for a drill press.

Waiting to see what Grizzly comes up with. Rumor is they may be working on something.

Mike

Thumbs up

I went through the same frustration looking at VS DP's only to be dissatisfied with all common offerings i.e. Chinese made crap (noisy, sloppy quills, no weight or mass). And this is what I did, bought an used American made heavy duty VS DP on eBay then restored it to like new condition. See here:

Before:

After:

I am very satisfied now.

Looks like you both have concluded what I did about the current marketplace. It is frustrating when you want to buy a good product that don't exist. I guess that is a business opportunity.

Going over Craigslist/eBay I have found plenty of Clausing VS DP's which is about as good as it gets for small shop DP's.

I have a bench model of the Delta drill press like Norm uses. I really like the VS feature, but had some trouble with the motor half. I feel there is some design weakness in that area. From what I read about Delta parts pricing, it may not be worth fixing if it breaks.

John

If you have the budget I'm sure you could find something new that will meet your expectations. I however don't, which is why I picked up a used Powermatic 1150. Very well made machines that would probably last a lifetime or more in a small shop.
    good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    If you have the budget I'm sure you could find something new that will meet your expectations. I however don't, which is why I picked up a used Powermatic 1150. Very well made machines that would probably last a lifetime or more in a small shop.
    good luck,
    JeffD
    You are exactly right about price point and size. I want a DP that is designed for woodworking like the ones that were to have come from Delta in 2006. Fortunately, those had an attainable price point as well. Too bad they never got their crap together on those.

Just out of curiousity, what do you do with your drill press that requires variable speed (I assume you mean on a rheostat type of thing as opposed to the blet and pulley speed changing that every drill press offers)? FWIW, I have the Rigid floor model, and while it is certainly no cadillac, it has never let me down in several years of woodworking use. Maybe I don't work to the tolerances of you guys? As I said, I'm just curious, because I've never really flet like I needed more speed control or metal-working-like precision in my DP.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post

Waiting to see what Grizzly comes up with. Rumor is they may be working on something.
    I was going to buy a new DP, but then Shiraz said he was coming up with something that would "shame" all the other models on the market. Coming from him, I doubt that is an overstatement, so I'm going to wait and see, too

I have an Ellis 9400 series drill press and I am extremely pleased with it.

http://www.ellissaw.com/Drill-Presse...ill-press-9400

It is primarily a metal working drill press, however it works just fine for wood too.

Very precise, very heavy duty, very smooth.

VS drill presses are much more of an industrial item then a homeowner machine, but that never stopped me from wanting one. Along those lines, I think the top three machines you will find used are the Delta/Rockwell 15", Powermatic 1150's and the Clausing 15" presses. I have a clausing as my own machine, but have also had my hands on 2 of the Rockwells and a Wilton/Boice-Crane as well. I havent had a P'matic yet, but they are good machines. In general you will find the fit and finish of these machines several notches above the stuff that sells for 4-500 new today. It ought to, the original price tags were north of 2-3 grand when they were new.

Price wise, you will still pay a good penny for a VS machine. I would guesstimate somewhere around 4-500 for one of the rockwells, and probably 6-700 for the P'matics and Clausings. Clausing is still built today. New today they are north of 3 grand, all American made. Really a metalworking machine so woodworking isn't much of a challenge. They all use a Reeves pulley drive system to vary the speed, its advantage is that it gives you constant torque throughout the range. Another benefit tends to be the longer strokes on these machines. Mine is 5", the Rockwells were 6". Many times that is the difference between drilling a hole in one operation or having to move the table up. If you can find one, go for it, it should be the last press you get.

What about a 3-phase motor with a VFD phase converter?

I just got a Laguna VS drill press. I think I paid about $700 for it. For the first time EVER I'm now using the proper speed for larger bits. I have always been too lazy to move the belts. I was going to get the Delta also but found out it was discountinued.