Thread: Millers Falls Expert needed

Millers Falls Expert needed

A Millers Falls Home Page does not show Hand drill #2500A. The years given for production of the Mohawk-Shelburne 2500, MF 2500B, 2500C and 2500 have no gaps. The 2500A I have seen looks just like the 2500C to me.

Does anyone have any information about the "A" ?

The difference might have something to do with the finish. There is a 2500A on ebay right now (item 150388996973) and the handle looks like it is red stained hardwood. The 2500C listed for sale on goantiques (seen from google) has a black painted handle and a different gear casting. Its probably something subtle.

That fits with their plane numbering scheme as well.
    They would add a suffix when some minor detail was changed. Trouble is they were never consistent about it!

Dave, No doubt there is some subtle difference. I would like to find out what it might be, and the dates of manufacture of the 2500A.

Bob, After 5&1/2 it appears the numbering system was pulled out of a hat.

I was kind of hoping that it might be something kind of rare. I bought the one I was looking at on ebay at a low price and then saw the second one show up on ebay. Probably not rare even though most listed have been the C with red stain, the later C with black paint and the 2500 without a suffix which also has black paint. Go figure.

In reading George Langford's #2 type study I see he ran accross some anomalies that there is no known answer for.

Good luck with the hunt!
    Here's to better success than I had.

Thanks Bob.

Maybe I should make my life's work a type study of the 2500 series .

Uhh, well, I guess there are more frustrating things you could possibly do.. but I can't think of any right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Andrews View Post
    Thanks Bob.

Maybe I should make my life's work a type study of the 2500 series .