Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Air Compressors....what's your flavor?

Portable Air Compressors....what's your flavor?

Looks like my trusty Emglo compressor is on it's last legs. It can no longer maintain anything over 90 lbs. It happened 2 yrs ago and I replaced the rings which worked for a while. I think I paid just under $300 for it and that was over 15 years ago. I went to my local BORG and was surprised to see new compressors for $275....that come with 3 guns!
    Anyhoo, looks like the new trend is leaning towards oil-less. I always remember they being noisy.
    So what do you have and what are your recommendations? I primarily use it in the shop but still want it to be portable for other projects so I don't want a stationary but I dunno. For some instances a stationary would be nice. Your thoughts?

You have no idea how noisy that 3 gun deal is. I have it, it is a killer. Loudest darn thing in the shop (if it's the Bostich). It is so loud, I'm betting it can do damage.

3. I won't go oil-less due to the noise.. They really are that bad... In fact, I've got a tractor that threw a rod which sounds about as loud.

I'm happily still using my grandfathers compressor, built in the 50s.

After too many sessions of machine gun rattles and clanks from "oil less" pancake compressors, I switched to a Makita MAC2400. I didn't try the smaller MAC700 or the larger MAC5200 but I have a buddy who has the 700 and he likes it. It is adequate and quiet. The 5200 wasn't readily available in my area and it cost near $400 so I went with the 2400 at $299.

No regrets. In addition to running with oil, it has a 1720 rpm pump which really reduces the noise to an acceptable level.

Forgot to mention that the 2400 runs at 79 db while the 5200 is at 90 db.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Borzelleri; 11-18-2009 at 7:21 AM.

Bob, Thanks for the Makita tip. I'll definitely look into that more. It looks like an improved version of my Emglo.
    Dan and Scott, Yes it was the Bostich and believe me, I was leary. Particulary when the display model was on a shelf about chest high, and I could still lift it off with one hand....and I'm no strong man.

I had a contractor do some work on my house in the spring and he had this Dewalt compressor. I was amazed at how quiet it was given it's an oil-less. But looking at it last night at Lowes, it's got wheels for a reason: it's heavy. I can't see myself luggin it up and down stairs. Aside from the heft, does anyone have any experience with it?

imho some of the best portable compressors on the market are made by Thomas here in the US ................ and they're oiless. I've has the T-200ST for about 5 years. Good output- 4.6 cfm @ 100psi, reasonably quiet- 75dB (motor runs at 1700 rpm), starts fine when cold and runs no problem on a 15 amp circuit. Made in the US, they cost more. I'd buy it again. Rolair makes some great compressors .......... a lot of contractors use 'em; they tough to kill. Jenny (the folks that make steamcleaners) bought the Emglo plant after B&D mover Emglo production to Mexico- they have a model that looks to me like the old Airmate. Bang for the $ though, the Mak is tough to beat.

Smile I have a . . .

Quote Originally Posted by John Callahan View Post
    imho some of the best portable compressors on the market are made by Thomas here in the US ................ and they're oiless. I've has the T-200ST for about 5 years. Good output- 4.6 cfm @ 100psi, reasonably quiet- 75dB (motor runs at 1700 rpm), starts fine when cold and runs no problem on a 15 amp circuit. Made in the US, they cost more. I'd buy it again. Rolair makes some great compressors .......... a lot of contractors use 'em; they tough to kill. Jenny (the folks that make steamcleaners) bought the Emglo plant after B&D mover Emglo production to Mexico- they have a model that looks to me like the old Airmate. Bang for the $ though, the Mak is tough to beat.
    I have a Rol-Air, great compressor . . . . but it is very LOUD ! ! !
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Blog Entries
    If you want a quality portable then look at Thomas or other option that is rated for continuous duty. I have completely abused mine for the past 2 years. Having said that, I'm probably going to add a stationary compressor (2 stage) in my shop for applications that require higher air flow.

Another solution for you could be the IR GarageMate line of compressors (oiled, continuous duty, semi-portable, can drive some spray guns, etc.). It depends on how 'portable' the compressor needs to be.

I picked up an Ingersoll Rand DD2T2 last summer on an Amazon price drop. Very nice little compressor and it gets high marks in reviews. Seems very similar to the Makita in many respects.

51GDY2YZRNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Stan

First of all, how much do you ‘wanna’ spend?

Next how big 5, 20, 25 gallons?

And verical or horizontal?

I'd look around for a 20 - 25 gal. cast iron oil bath compressor. Unless your running air tools and ratchets, I don't think that you'll need a humungous compressor.

It might be worth while to look in the local Yellow Pages under air compressor repair/rebuild and give them a call or stop by and see what unit they would recommend.

I have a 15 + year old Dayton (Grainger) unit w/ a 25 gal. tank on two wheels. The only maintenance has been a yearly oil change and a new air filter. I added an aftermarket drain valve on a small extension to facilitate tank draining, which I do after each use.

An oil-less unit is very noisy and from what I have observed, oil-less don’t seem to hold up as long. Now maybe the newer units are better, but I like “iron“.

If you don’t have a Grainger account, find someone who does. Grainger has some interesting goods in its catalogue. Or if you have a re-sale/business license, open your own account.

For ‘zample': Grainger item # 4TW29 USA Made oil bath cast iron Compressor, Running Motor Power 2.0 HP, Tank Capacity 20 Gallons, Voltage @ 60 Hz 115/230 Volts, 15.0 Amps, Free Air Flow @ 125 PSI 5.0 CFM, Free Air Flow @ 90 PSI 5.7 CFM, $461.00. Grainger on-line catalogue also has some USA made Speedaire closeouts at very attractive prices....

I have had a Grizzly for over 10 years without issue. As a matter of fact, I have done NOTHING to maintain it. Not even drain it! I keep wanting to and then forgetting. I probably have a pint of water in there. Hey, a pint, that reminds me....
    I drink, therefore I am.

What's a resonable expectation for an air compressor when you use a high volume air tool like an air chisel or spray gun? Should you expect the motor to run most of the time? Or is that an indication that you need a model with a bigger tank?

I wouldn't get a portable for spraying. First of all, I think you need a compressor with a minimum air flow of what, 5 or 6 CFM @ 90 psi for spraying and air tools? I would certainly get a larger unit for spraying. On that note, my understanding is that even, say a 26 gallon compressor with 5.5 cfm, would be able to handle spraying, but would labor.

If your compressor labors, it just shortens its life. You CAN pull 10,000 lbs with a half ton truck, but if you are going to be pulling every day, you are better off with a 3/4 or 1 ton. Bottom line is how much stress are you putting on the compressor, and how much is it designed for.
    I drink, therefore I am.

14. I have the Dewalt Emglo compressor in the link. It doesn't get used all THAT often and I've had it maybe 2 years but it now has a bad pressure switch already. It scared the crap out of me when I looked over and saw the needle wrapping 300psi. I haven't looked into replacing it yet but I'm not happy.

I have a Craftsman oiled jobby that has been in the shop(s) since 1978. Has a Leeson motor that has had a starter cap. replaced. The job-site pancake Porter-Cable has been at work since 1999. It (the Porter) ain't quiet, but when I put it in the right place on the job......
    Bill
    Oh...I do drain it every day.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.