Thread: Set of 3 Benjamin's Best Carbide Chisel Set

Set of 3 Benjamin's Best Carbide Chisel Set

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCPM3CAR.html

anyone use these? how long would they stay sharp? can you sharpen them if they dull?

i have not used this set, i have used benny's best and they are ok, the description says probably will not need to be sharpened, that is a new one on me

11" overall length with 8" handles
    these are small tools, and with a stardard grinder rest the 3" of metal hopefully you do not have to grind away

the thing is you have to start someplace, if you can learn to use the skew and gouge you are way ahead

I had a set of those. I liked them well enough. They did stay sharp once you got them sharp. I had a problem with the carbide part breaking off. I never did replace them after that. Then hurricane Ike took them with the rest of my shop.

Carbide tools

I suggest that you stick with High speed steel for your turning tools. The carbide tools will probably stay sharp for a long time but will eventually become dull. Carbide requires a silicone carbide or a diamond wheel for sharpening.

Hey, spending a few minutes at the grinder once in a while is part of turning. My early days of turning was with carbon steel tools. I was probably using dull tools much of the time because they didn't hold an edge very long. HS tools didn't become generally available until the late 70's or early 80's. I still have some of my old Greenlee and Buck Carbon steel tools from the 50's.

Wally

oh okay i was just curious thanks.

I had a set, because I was affraid of sharpening. But mine also broke. then I bought regular hss tools and and old grinder, much better.
    It would have been cheaper if I bought the more expensive tools first.

Terry

Don't waste your money. I was given a set and they were worthless in my opinion.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.