Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Table saw accessories

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Watson View Post
    I wonder I can use these things on a jointer....not face jointing but edge...
    Like others, I hand hold while edge jointing as long as the piece is wide enough for me to feel comfortable.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Digital fence gauge and a good mitre gauge. The digital gauge makes repeatibility so much easier especially for a new user. You can cut the same size exactly days later if you wish. OEM mitre gauges are rubbish and all the push sticks, feather boards etc can be made. Out feed tables are an essential if you work on your own and most of us do. Mine is a rolling cabinet made for the purpose that holds more junk, err tools.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

What blade is on the saw? You haven’t mentioned any thing ‘bout the saw blade(s).

All the accessories in the world could very well be for naught if you have a substandard blade.

And considering you are going to work 8/4 mahogany and other hardwoods, I would first consider two good blades. Why two?-- when one gets dull, you have a sharp blade to use while the other is sharpened. A thin kerf blade will take less energy to make a cut and also save expensive wood.

As for a splitter, match the blade kerf to the splitter. Some splitters are too wide to work with a thin kerf blade.

Now about power, how big is the motor? Can it be re-wired for 220 volts? In another life, I had a Delta Contractor’s Saw -- 1.5 HP -- and I had to really watch the feed rate when cutting thicker boards. After I had it re-wired for 220, the problem just about went away.

A quality aftermarket miter gauge is something to consider. Depending how wide and long your stock will be, an accurate crosscut sled might be handy.

Same with an aftermarket rip fence.

Since I work alone, my Unifence has Board Buddies which I find are especially helpful when ripping and/or cutting sheet goods. They will also prevent a kickback.

Fabricate a stout out feed table that could also double as an assembly table. Put wheels on it so it can easily be moved around if necessary. A few years ago, I built a New Yankee Workshop assembly table and altered it to fit my needs. Since the table has retractable wheels, I can turn the table so it will support a 4’X8’ sheet of plyw’d or similar material coming off the saw. www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0207

If you ever find the need for a roller stand to support the work, a ball bearing roller stand is not finicky to position. A typewriter type roller stand must be set parallel to the front (or rear) edge of the saw table, or the stock will not feed straight.

And as John Harden posted:
    “My advice is to start slow and buy accessories when the need actually arises. Its way too easy to wind up with a lot of gadgets and junk you don't need.”

Was re-reading and agree with the comment about a cross cut sled. I forgot to add that one. I use mine a lot. Lots of references on that. Build a good one. Essential.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    Was re-reading and agree with the comment about a cross cut sled. I forgot to add that one. I use mine a lot. Lots of references on that. Build a good one. Essential.
    +1. A good crosscut sled, and it doesn't have to be fancy, will sure make using your TS a lot more enjoyable and much less frustrating. I seldom use my miter gauge anymore for cutting 90 degree cuts.

My priority list for starters, as several others have mentioned and depending on what you can afford right now, would be: 1 or 2 quality blades, a decent fence and miter gauge, followed by tuning your saw. Push sticks. Crosscut sled. Then, buy or build as the need arises. You'll figure it out as you go along.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Blog Entries
    +1 crosscut sled. It'll change your life.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thank you all for making it so much easier. My head is actually spinning a lot less today!

So far I have bought the 2 grr-rippers with handle upgrades and dvd and I will be making a bunch of zci's this weekend.

Next on the list is the small plastic splitters and I am going to look into that overhead guard.

I just bought a new blade to try out. It's a Freud D1060x Diablo. I had read great reviews about it and at $40 it was a small risk. Since I'm a novice I had to start somewhere to find out what I would need in a blade.

If I do like it I will get a second blade as a backup.

My table saw says it's 3HP but it's a 110v AND the motor states it's 1.5HP. I guess someone swapped the motor before I got it or Sears is full of.....cookies.
    I could get a beefier motor and run it on 220 but I need to find out if I can safely do so. The guts of the saw are built like a tank but I don't know if I can just swap out the motor and be done with it.

Anyway I started it up yesterday and I was stunned at how smooth and silent it was without any set up. This might turn out to be a decent saw!

In my first post I stated it was model 113.298240.. that's actually my other saw, I forgot what model the 3HP is but it looks almost identical, same era saw.

The 240 is a 1HP and I actually bolted it to the other saw with a 10 inch wing inbetween.

I paid $40 for one and $50 for the other, not sure anymore which one was cheaper. I also have two webbed cast iron extension wings that came with it, 12 x 27, the original blade guard and splitters, original fences and one still had the original stand.
    I don't think there will be a lot of difference in power between the two so I might end up sticking a dado in one saw and leaving it there, or a crosscut blade, it'll all depend on what I end up doing.

For the guitar building the table saw will be used mostly to crosscut stock for the bodies. These will be cut to lenght, planed, jointed and glued up to end up with a 18x14x6/4 blank. I might run into trouble cutting 8/4 mahogany and ash so I'll plane it down to 6/4 before I cut it.
    For some guitars the body will only end up being 12 wide and since I have a 13" planer I thought it easier to finsih the blanck before I ran it through the thickness planer. Again I'm just guessing here because I actually have never done this before. It's pretty exciting though!

The diablo blade will be tested shortly when I start work on the router table wing and outfeed tables. Because of space issues I will have fold up outfeed tables on the back and on the left side of the saw.

I've attached a picture of my rough draft for the table saw stand I made from an old sturdy lab desk. This will be my moveable work center. I beefed it up with 2x4's and mdf. The top is mdf on top of the original table top making it 1.5" thick. The base is mdf on a 2x4 frame with 4" locking casters and it works like a charm! Next up is building baffles inside and cut holes in the top where the saws sit to create dust collection for both saws and then finish the sides with pegboard and stain or paint the whole thing. I'm having a blast building this just with the leftover stuff I have in the garage. The stand is around 23 high so the ts tops sit at a comfy 36 ish " from the ground.

I've been clearing out the garage and yet have to remove the small metal workbench and shelves full of rubble so I have room for a nice woodworking bench. I desperately need one to build the guitar necks and other fun things.

The fence is a Craftsman xr-2424, same as the Ridgid fence. Locks front and back. The front rail is 60" long which gives me enough to ride the fence over the entire length. I thought about adding a router fence to it to elminate the cost of a dedicated router table fence but after lots of advice from others I dropped that idea.

Since I got the grr-rippers I will not get the board buddies just yet. If it turns out I will be cutting big sheets I'll just order a set.

You can see my old Craftsman jointer in the background. Model 113.206931.
    It was a bit rusty so I took a few minutes to clean it up. It came with new knives installed and purrs like a kitten! Not bad for $40. To bad it scares the #$% out of me. Hence me asking about edge jointing. I will need to watch a few videos before I feel comfortable working with it.

I will need educating on crosscut sleds so will start reading about them right now!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My vote is to wait and see what you need. I think all of us has made the mistake of buying the latest/greatest/neatest gizmo/gadget/thingamagig just because of a slick ad, or a fast talking demo guy at a woodworking show. I know I have on more than one occasion. I now take a wait-and-see approach before reaching for the wallet. Most of the time.

I'm sure I have accumulated some gadgets that I shouldn't have so I'm trying to avoid the gimmicks.

I did get the grr-ripper set and I love it, I think that was a good buy.

I forgot to ask you guys....what dado blade is recommended? I don't know how much I will use it but when I do I would like to have a clean cut. I don't think I have to go with the most expensive but I'm sure the cheapest one would be a bad choice.
    I've seen the Diablo dd208 dado set for $100 at home depot and they also had a $50 set but forgot the brand...starts with 'A' i think..

Anyway, the saw to use it with is the 113.298240 with a 1HP motor. I know many people have used a dado blade with one of these without problems but should I look for a 6" stacked dado just to be sure or should I go ahead and find an 8"?

Again this is for hobby work, the saw will not be running 8 hours a day.

or the Osborne EB3, love that miter guage

11. Crosscut sled, my most valued accessory. I made 2, a 17" and a 37"