Thread: Newb Question

Newb Question

I've searched quite a bit on this and can't find the answer, so I apologize if this has been covered before.

The following is a very crude squetchup of a plant stand I'm doing. In the space that has 8 1/2" across, I want 5 spindles 3/4" wide. How do I come up with the right spacing? I know there is an easy way to do this but I can't quite get it figured out.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff King

Maybe I'm not thinking of something, but I'd add up the combined width of all the spindles, subtract that from 8.5", and divide the amount left by six (the amount of spaces including the spaces between the last spindles and the legs.)

So, 5 x .75 = 3.75 8.5 - 3.75 = 4.75 4.75/6 = .79....."
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 11-18-2009 at 5:40 PM.

If you want equal spaces everywhere...

- there are 5 slats X .75 = 3.75"

- that leaves 4.75" for 6 spaces so each space is .792" wide.

however if it were me, I would leave larger spaces at the outside, and bunch the spindles closer together in the center. I would also make the spindles narrower, maybe 1/2" or 3/8".

Regards, Rod
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 11-18-2009 at 5:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    ... if it were me, I would leave larger spaces at the outside, and bunch the spindles closer together in the center.

In principle, I agree with Rod; there is an aesthetic advantage to a bit of asymmetry -- it might be more interesting if the outer spaces aren't the same, and it would look intentional (it would be obvious that you made a design decision to do it that way.)

Of course, the best method for anything like this would be doing a layout with full-size pieces or an elevation drawing should show you the best proportions and spacing.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 11-18-2009 at 6:12 PM.

Use dividers...

1) First decide how much space you want between the outside spindles and the edges of the case.

2) Mark the center of the case opening.

3) Set a pair of dividers to approximately the distance your like in between spindles

4) The center mark is for the center of the 5 spindles. From there with your dividers step off two steps in each direction and make a temporary mark. Those marks are where the ceters of your other spindles would go.

5) Adjust the dividers to more or less space until you are happy with the layout. They will be guaranteed to be spaced evenly.

6) If you want them to be evenly spaced within the entire opening then when stepping off from center in each direction, make a third step and adjust your dividers until the three steps land you at exactly the edge of the case.
    --Mark

TheCraftsmansPath dot com

Thanks so much for the help!

Point 2 point

www.woodcraft.com has a measuring device call point 2 point that is made for just what you are doing. Less than $25 and a great little do-dah to have for future use. Do a search when you get to the woodcraft page "point.2.point".