Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wavy Bowls

Wow very nice work. i really like the walnut bowl, awesome job
    Jeff
    "There's is only one way to turn wood....Safely"

Very cool!

Looks like fun to to and the result is wonderful! Nice complimentary woods and basic shapes.

Thanks for more ideas!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Great looking bowls John! I'll be trying to figure out "how'd he do that" all day now.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Those are cool.

Good job.

Great looking bowls. I'm also curious about the process.

I'll join the crowd also and say very nice work also. A tutorial would be great as I'm assuming there is some bandsaw work and gluing together the blank before the spinning begins.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Thanks Everyone,

I really appreciate all the responses.

I will definitely put together a tutorial at some point, but I have a few kinks I want to perfect before I share the whole process. I will say, that while the basic concept is not that complicated, it has taken me a few months, and the creation of a couple of complex jigs, to be able to achieve the result with acceptable precision.

As to Richard Madison's comment on the grain... I'm aware this was risky, and I've tried some tricks to see if I can make this work. I guess only time will tell. Waiting for some humidity here in So. Cal. to see how the wood moves.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beaver View Post
    These are part of a new technique I'm working on. I call it my "wavy" bowl series.
    Very, very nice. Something original and good looking. A +1 on sharing the technique.
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

Wow. I really like these. I'm hoping you won't keep us in suspense too long about the technique....

John, Thanks for your response. I have some laminated pieces from 20 years ago, back when I thought crossed grain laminations made the piece stronger. Although none has fallen apart (that I know about), one can now feel some of the joint areas where originally there was a deep, glassy smooth polyurethane finish, so there has definitely been movement.

Also have two new ribbon forms with some cross grain joints (think I posted them here), so they are not for sale for a couple of years at least. Maybe never.
    Richard in Wimberley

Way cool! I also want to know how...
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Another vote for 'How'd he do it?' Nice.

13. Looks like some very nice work on some very nice bowls!

They are all beautiful bowls, nice job.