Thread: Corian questions

Corian questions

Hello folks, I知 new to this forum so please bear with me. I知 pretty excited about the freedom pens project, so I hope I can help out there. I just got some red whit and blue corian today, and I知 ready to get going. My question is, how does this stuff work? I知 sure it machines like some plastics but I知 wondering if it can be glued and laminated. What kind of glue to use and how about sanding? I like to use Mylands friction polish will that work ok on the corian?

I知 looking forward to working with everyone, I read some of the post and it looks like a good group. Thanks in advance. Be safe out there, John.

No one died when Clinton lied.

You'd probably want to use a cyanoacrylate that has a surfactant. Align the pieces the way you want, let the CA wick into the seam and wait 24 hours. The seam will be stronger than the piece itself.

Working corian

Jim is right once you glue up your pieces let it set for 24 hours that way you will get either no seam or very little of the seam showing.

Turning the product is great, but you sharp tools.

As far as finishing. I just sand though 320 to get all of the tool marks out. Then I sand with MM up to 12,000. Make sure you are wet sanding (polishing).

The I use EEE and auto compound. It becomes very glossy. Not additonal finish is required.
    Good luck and have fun with it.

Alan

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    John,

There is a lot of information on this subject in the archives. You can start by reviewing the "Similar Thrreads" list at the bottom of this thread. You can also look at this page on my web site which shows how to laminate RWB center bands and how to layer Corian blanks:

Corian Pen Construction