Thread: Truned Clock

Truned Clock

I have made a lot of Clocks during my 40 years of Woodworking. I have made Desk clocks, Mantel clocks, Wall clocks, even a Grandfather clock, but this is my first Turned Clock. I am going to call it my "prototype", since I can see some improvements coming to the next one.

This one is made from Magnolia. It is 10 1/2 inches high, the Base and Top are 4 1/2 inch diameter, and the Body is 3 1/2 inch in diameter. The Clock is 1 7/16 inch in diamenter and it has a 6 1/2 inch battery operated Pendulum Drive.

What ya think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice - would you provide a tutorial?

Pretty slick and creative.

Totally awesome, creative idea.

very nice, what price range would that fall into

Beautiful clock. Really well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Excellent

Very nice... great change from the norm... I would like to see a tutorial as well if not still like it... Gary

Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Steyer View Post
    Very nice - would you provide a tutorial?

It's really not that difficult. The five parts are turn separatley, then glued. I cut the piece from the body cylinder before turning it. I thought that would be easier, however, I didn't cut it deep enough and had to cut it again after turning it round. You drill the hole according to the size of the watch insert, in this case it a 1 3/8 diameter for the insert.

Price

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    very nice, what price range would that fall into

First of all this one is not marketable. The CA Glue dried before I could get the top squared away, so the top is off center and there are some other imperfection.

It took me about four hours to make and that was devising a plan as I went, so I probably could do the next one in less time. The Clock and Pendulum came to about $17. The wood was from a tree I cut down awhile back, but you would have to figure a cost for that. And, then there is profit. If you compute all that, the price would probably be more than the market will bear.