Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First box

First box

Okay, I post here knowing there are imperfections, but I built my first box out of birds eye maple and purple heart and already a few solid lessons learned. The keys should be cut with a blade that leaves a flat kerf is a good one. Second, and I don't know what I was thinking, but the bottom panel is solid wood and... oh man..., yes... I glued it in! I guess time will tell what happens there. Any way, still need to clean it up a bit and install hinges. I'm a little stuck on what I should do to finish it. One idea is Danish Oil, then wax, another, Danish oil then shellac. Any suggestions there would be greatly appreciated. Also, I need to figure out a handle and the best butt hinges to buy.

One last thought. A pro carpenter friend of mine kind of sneered at the idea of making a box and I let it get to me. However, I really really enjoyed doing this and already have a few more ideas in my head. It's a great way to learn all types of techniques, you get to work with really nice wood and not break the bank and it is just plain fun.

P.S. Camera distorts on close up - the box is not curved.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great job, Dean! I have built a few boxes, but not to the level of most of the "box builders" here on the creek - and, there are some great ones!!

You did a good job on this one, and as you have noted, one has to use a lot of the same methods used on larger casework. The skills that are learned/honed are transferable.

And, I would venture to say that, as a group, box builders may achieve tighter joints than those achieved on most casework as they strive for perfection on a much smaller scale. That has to improve one's overall skill level.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words John! Really, it is very much appreciated.

I was listening to a woodworking podcast a while back and the speaker pushed any listener to post pictures of their work on forums like this. He said a very small % of the people on the forums ever do this. So, even if you are nervous about your skill level, know there are mistakes, recognize things you can learn, see other work that blows yours away... just get it out there. So, I decided to take the advice.

Excellent job IMO, Dean. You left one miter a tad open which could be due to you weren't using a fence stop to insure all sides were "exactly" the same size when mitering or... you just didn't get it pulled up tight on the glue up. My method there is to use packaging tape to keep the thing in place and surgical tubing wrapped around the folded package after the glue is applied and you "tighten up" as we use to say in Vietnam.

Excellent job over-all and it will get better I am sure. As you stated you do need to use a rip blade with a flat tooth grind to get a flat bottom and no corner angle. And... you will find that same blade should be used to do tenons on a tenon jig to save the clean-up..

Well done.. very well done....
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thanks John. Ah, you saw that darn miter joint. I am 99% sure I cut everything right, it was in the glue up where I goofed. I used paint tape, then clamps and I think it shifted a little and I missed it. I like the tubing and tape idea. I think I will use glue with a longer open time next too.

Regarding the rip blade, get this. Guess what brand new blade I had sitting two feet away when I cut those key slots? Yep, a new rip blade. I didn't even think about it. Now I know.

I have some nice walnut and some of the birdseye left over, so I am itching to start another box and apply these lessons - maybe today.

Woodworking Podcast???

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Karavite View Post

I was listening to a woodworking podcast a while back and the speaker pushed any listener to post pictures of their work on forums like this.
    Dean,

What woodworking podcast are you listening to and where'd you pick it up, itunes?

I commute a total of over 3 hours per day and my ipod is my sanctuary on the train - I'd love to be listening to a woodworking podcast in addition to my normal array of music and other stuff...

Thanks!

Oh, and very nice box, too!

Very nice effort, Dean! At least you followed through on what you wanted to do and did quite well on it. Each project will be a learning experience, so don't let anyone discourage you. You'll do just fine!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Strauss View Post
    Dean,

What woodworking podcast are you listening to and where'd you pick it up, itunes?

I commute a total of over 3 hours per day and my ipod is my sanctuary on the train - I'd love to be listening to a woodworking podcast in addition to my normal array of music and other stuff...

Thanks!
    Hi Jason,

If you have video, there are a bunch, but that will kill the iPod/phone battery much quicker. For audio only I only know of Modern Woodshop. With video there is Finewoodowrking, The Wood Whisperer, Woodworkers Resource, Woodworking Online and Woodworking with Thomas J. MacDonald & Friends

All on iTunes.

That is a very nice box, Dean and for a first one, it's fantastic. Pay no mind to the comments from the carpenter friend, either. Good carpentry is a skill just as fine woodworking is a skill but the tolerances involved aren't even in the same ballpark...I know because I've done both and I find the woodworking much more difficult.

I have no doubt that your work will improve rapidly, judging by the first piece. I also want to thank you for posting pics of your work. Too many forum members offer opinions but not nearly enough (or any) examples to qualify those opinions...and that's just my opinion.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Dean,

Very nice work, especially for a first effort. Much better than my first efforts, I can tell you.

A couple of resources that helped me improve my box-making skills dramatically were Doug Stowe's books and DVDs. Here's a link to the DVD:

Basic Box Making with Doug Stowe

You'll find the book on the same page.

Keep posting the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Karavite View Post
    Thanks John. Ah, you saw that darn miter joint. I am 99% sure I cut everything right, it was in the glue up where I goofed. I used paint tape, then clamps and I think it shifted a little and I missed it. I like the tubing and tape idea. I think I will use glue with a longer open time next too.

Regarding the rip blade, get this. Guess what brand new blade I had sitting two feet away when I cut those key slots? Yep, a new rip blade. I didn't even think about it. Now I know.

I have some nice walnut and some of the birdseye left over, so I am itching to start another box and apply these lessons - maybe today.
    I have only done one set of boxes last Xmas Dean.. but I had the experience of 37 years of carcass work at the time. But.. these small boxes require a lot of fine detail and a few techniques uncommon to a large carcass maker. Fortunately I have a very experienced box-maker neighbor in the form of Ed Sallee up the road about 13 miles from me that got me on the right track to some the techniques required.

And yep... I certainly did enjoy doing them and learning some of the detail techniques involved. And even better they are relatively cheap to make in an economy that puts limits on solid wood purchases for larger carcass work. I certainly want to do more of them in the future after I finish the current list of requistions for home furniture given to me by the First Lady. When the First Lady speaks... you better listen or you're next project will be a dog-house!

Again... great beginnig and with the excellent attitude you have about this hobby.. your journey will be long and well traveled I suspect.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Purpleheart and Maple were made for each other. Great job on your first box, some nice advanced techniques in there. Lots of choices on the hinges, try Brusso self stopping type, solid brass, plenty of heft to hold that heavy top.

GOOD JOB ON YOUR FIRST BOX

RULE NUMBER 1:

NO Stinking piano hinges !!!!!!!! NONE !! NOT ONE !! Unless you make a piano
    MARK

Thanks for all the advice and resources everyone. I'm off to Woodcraft today and will look for some good hinges (I will not even look at piano hinges).

I started on a second box using some walnut that, I think, had some interesting color and character and birds eye maple. It isn't yet sanded, glued up..., but I want to take my time on this one and get those miter joints super tight and with no gap. Here is a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images