Thread: Finally finished pepper/salt mill set

Finally finished pepper/salt mill set

I was commissioned in May by a coworker to turn a set of mills for her to give to her dad for his birthday. Thankfully she decided to wait until he came out here to visit for Thanksgiving to give them to him. The summer became very busy with regular home maintenance work and enjoying the kids, so I was glad for the extra time.

I finished the mills last week with a final wet sand and buffing. These mills are made from laminated Padauk, Western Maple, and Dyed black veneer. I adjusted the layers on the salt cap so that the maple would be on top as a easy identifier. They are finished with 10 coats of catalyzed lacquer. I let the first 5 coats cure for a week before wet sanding and applying the final 5 coats. I then waited a month to let it fully cure before final wet sanding and buffing.

I also finally got a piece of white posterboard to use for a backdrop instead of the velvet cloth that I couldn't get the wrinkles out of.

Opinions and critiques on the mills as well as pics greatly appreciated.

Very nice Mills. I really like those.
    Bo

How much money and/or time did "The Creek" save you today. I'll bet it was more than the cost of becoming a contributor.

Nice job

It takes only four words to describte those: "SEN-SA-TION-AL" You went all out. I have never seen the little holder for Salt and Pepper mills, what a great idea.

Wow!

I'm pretty sure those are the best mills I've ever seen (in my opinion).

Nice, very very nice Keith!

Keith,
    Put a bow on it, simply fantastic.
    Pictures look real good to me.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Nice job Keith! What kind of grinder did you use?

Thanks all for the kind words!! I hope to get more time turning this winter, and more practice on my bowls. With the new lathe coming I really plan on spending alot more time in the shop. I know LOML will complain that I am not spending enough time with her, I will just remind her that we don't want all that money to go unused

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    Nice job Keith! What kind of grinder did you use?
    Greg,

I use the CrushGrind mechanisms with the shaft. I get them from Craftsupplies. These allow you to not have the nut on top of the mill and you can trim the height of the shaft.

Keith, those are beautiful. Great combo of wood. I have 4 of the crushgrinds and have been putting off making the grinders. You gave me incentive to get to work.

Keith those are beauties. Really well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.