Thread: Byrd Spiral Head for Hammer A3 31?

Byrd Spiral Head for Hammer A3 31?

Holbren will make a Byrd spiral head for a Hammer A3 31 for a little over $900. For folks that have converted, do you think it would be worth it? Is the primary difference that the blades last longer (so wouldn't be worth it for me), or it does a much better job (perhaps worth it to me)?

Thanks for your input.

Roger

Byrd

What kind of challenges are you having with your planer head? Byrd's tend to do a good job on challenging grain, but Felder and Tersa heads (don't know what the Hammer uses) tend to work just as well due to their design.

My Felder does quite well on tough grain and that's with the stock blades. I've not even upped to the Cobalt ones yet.

What blades/cutterhead are you running?

Regards,

John

I'm just using the stock blades. The quality has generally been good, but of course still doing some sanding after thickness planing. I didn't know the Byrd heads were an option until yesterday.

To date I'm working with cherry and maple. Just curious if someone would say "the difference was amazing", "I wish I did this years ago", etc.

Sounds like you don't think it would be worth it for general woodworking, eh?

Thanks,

Roger

Roger, the Byrd will give you a noise reduction, but beyond that I think that you'll be wondering why you spent that $900 on that upgrade. I agree with John, Felder/Hammer's cutterheads and knives are very good, and there are no huge potential redesign advantages, IMHO.

Thanks for the advice. I can probably find something else to give to myself for Christmas this year... :-)

I upgraded my dw735 to a byrd head and it made a new machine out of it. Then I upgraded to a A3-31 and cant imagine it getting much better, I'm still using the stock blades and its cuts really nice. I did order a new set of cobalt blades, Fergus with Felder told me they would outlast the stock blades at least 2 to 1, best of all they were 60$. I wouldnt spend the 900 for a different head for this machine.

The reason I switched the head on my dw735 is that I was replacing blades WAY to often.

Just out of curiosity, where are you guys buying your A3 31's from? Are they new or used? I've been lusting after one for some time (especially since it seems like about a dozen creekers have gotten one recently), but have never seen one for sale used.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where are you guys buying your A3 31's from? Are they new or used? I've been lusting after one for some time (especially since it seems like about a dozen creekers have gotten one recently), but have never seen one for sale used.
    Dan, I got mine directly from Felder, mine came out of CA, they have some good promotions from time to time, it seems like it is either free shipping or deep discounts. I've seen 1 used on ebay awhile back but thats it, I searched high and low for a used one.

The main reason I switched was for space, having the extra jointing capacity is a bonus, but in a small shop real estate is usually #1 when deciding for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Dan, I got mine directly from Felder, mine came out of CA, they have some good promotions from time to time, it seems like it is either free shipping or deep discounts. I've seen 1 used on ebay awhile back but thats it, I searched high and low for a used one.
    I suppose it's a testament to the machine that you can't find a used one for sale

Brad Shipton (fellow Creeker) put a Shelix on his Hammer earlier this year -- you can search for some threads with his thoughts. I believe that there is a more detailed description on the Felder Owners Group on Yahoo. Personally I find the Cobalt knives to work extremely well in all types of grain -- as long as they are sharp I have not had any tearout on curly Maple and Cherry boards. Did fine on some ribbon Mahagony too with grain that reversed across the face of the board with each growth ring. I think that if you were jointing/planing some wood with high silica like Teak that would dull blades quickly then this might be a worthwhile option. I would rather spend the $1K on other tools since the regular head works so well. Just my opinion.

Scot

I live in northern CA so mine also came from Sacramento. They have since closed the showroom there, but I bought it based on comments here, I never went to their showroom anyway. It doesn't affect delivery times, I don't think they build it until someone orders one. Delivery times are quite long.

Really like the machine, and the sales support I got from Fergus was great. They had a spring sale this year but the extended it to me when I bought my machine in July. I have never seen a used one, and if I sold mine now I wouldn't discount it much below what I paid for it. I think it would go pretty quickly. Maybe you'll get lucky on an estate sale.

rj

I have a Tersa head in my jointer.. its not a Felder, its a Griggio.. I also have a Helical head in my planer..

When cutting Fir, Oak, Sapelli or most hardwoods, there is not difference..

When cutting Maple with any figure.. the Tersa tears out and the helical doesnt..

So I Joint, tear - out, then give it a pass on the planer..

The Helical is better, but a Byrd upgrade on my jointer is about $1200 .. Its not a big enough difference in quality for $1200..

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Jensen View Post
    Holbren will make a Byrd spiral head for a Hammer A3 31 for a little over $900. For folks that have converted, do you think it would be worth it? Is the primary difference that the blades last longer (so wouldn't be worth it for me), or it does a much better job (perhaps worth it to me)?

Thanks for your input.

Roger
    I own the C3 31 and have done lots of great planing with it. If you spend $900 for WTF this is, I think you are on serious drugs. Sorry, don't mean to sound so belligerent, but I have seen nothing but great planing, so what do you think you are improving on? And for $900, holy mackeral!!!!Sometimes, I am a spendthrift, but I think not in this case.