Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most usefull course you took?

Most usefull course you took?

Just wondering what was your most usefull course in high school?

Easy for me to answer. I don't know how I even got signed up for it, but over my lifetime my most usefull course was typing. Good thing, because my writing is illegible.

Rick Potter
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 11-21-2009 at 3:04 AM.

+1 on typing class.

Public speaking was also very useful.

Wood Shop.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

baking and pastry. learned how to make some great desserts
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Blog Entries

Most useful course in HS

Honors Geometry. I learned so much about logical thinking and proofs that have supported my ongoing educational efforts to this day. While I am fairly advanced in mathmatics, I'd go back and take it again - I am sure I would learn something else. I didn't hurt that the teacher hated me and wanted me out of the class, so I had to ace it.

Speed reading. I took it when I was a senior. Just about quadrupled my reading speed and increased my comprehension level over what is was before. Served me very well in law school and in my career. Wish I'd taken typing as well.

Typing is used several times a day. Other valuable classes include senior English, drafting, algebra, geometry and woods.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I am with Rick. I was threatened with being held back in the 6th grade due to poor penmanship so I have to go with typing. My first major purchase in life was a typewriter when I was around 7. Math was my next most useful course. I should have paid better attention in English class because my sentence structures frequently need help beyond my abilities. Farm shop helped a lot in the real world.
    David B

High school? wow, that is long ago. Well I worked in construction all my life so the academic classes I took in High school did me little help in my career.
    Best course I ever took, long after high school ,was a union course on Blueprint Reading.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

It wasn't exactly a course, but in my 7th and 8th grade English classes, we had to write a paragraph on a given topic in about 5 minutes. We did that exercise countless times, and I am very sure that it was the single most beneficial thing I learned in school. If you can construct a logical, easily-comprehended paragraph, you can write anything.

High school - typing. College - journalism (I had to learn to spell).

High School - either Calc. or Wood Shop... but not because it's a hobby now. Our class required pre-planning and layout calculations and cost estimates before even touching a tool. That forethought has been invaluable.

College - Mechanics of Deformable Solids or Heat Transfer... but that's just for the current job.

Speed reading still serves me to this day!

High School; Michigan History
    College; Technical Writing

Mac

This might scare some people but my most useful classes probably were the algebra, and calc classes I had in college. I use algrebra everytime I am in the wood shop and dont realize it until later. The 2nd would be graduate level psycology. It helpes me identify what type of personality I am speaking to and relate to them quicker which makes my job and previous positions easier.