Thread: Rookie paint system

Rookie paint system

Hello, my wife wants me to paint a chest of drawers in a soft white. I figure the best finish I can get will be sprayed on. I don't have any spray equipment, but this would be a good excuse to get more gear. I have a nice sized compressor (80 gallon, 2stage, 5HP) so I think I have the power to get the job done.

What paint system do you suggest I use that would give a nice result and be forgiving for a rookie? I would probably need to use something that is water based, as my shop does not have any explosion proof ventilation or lighting.

IS there a paint gun you would suggest that is good quality, but not priced like the ones that Pros use day in day out. I am OK with used if that is the way to go. I also want to use he gun for general spray painting (Auto related stuff is my other hobby)

Tips appreciated.

Bob.
    Bob S.
    http://www.lancasterfm104.com/history.html

A good latex paint will work fine. It can be thinned with water which makes cleaning the gun after spraying sooooo much easier than an oil base. Some guys like to spray lacquer over the paint after it has dried for additional protection.
    Wish I could make a recommendation for a good gun. I've never found one I really like.

I spray pigmented waterborne lacquer from Target Coatings. You can custom-tint it yourself with universal colorants, or you can buy some colors pre-mixed. Both are available from Homestead Finishing.

I know it is guy's code not to stand in the way of a man looking to purchase a new tool, but...

I have had good luck rolling latex on projects. I start w/ shellac, and then I use a non-blocking (meaning it doesn't stick to itself) paint. Non-blocking paints are typically sold as kitchen and bath cabinet paints.

For a roller, I use one of the little disposable rollers they sell at Ace. They come in a package that is intended to be used as a paint tray. Here, this one:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1272869

I use one for the primer, and then another one for the paint.

LATEX paint is not a good paint for funriture. It's made for walls.

Items set on a shelf tend to "block" the latex is very soft and stick to the objects set on it.

Use an Alkyd or Acrylic paint. Oil based is more durable but the WB are getting very good.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Slater View Post
    .... I figure the best finish I can get will be sprayed on. I don't have any spray equipment.... I have a nice sized compressor (80 gallon, 2stage, 5HP) . That is more than sufficient for general use.

What paint system ... would give a nice result and be forgiving for a rookie? ....my shop does not have any explosion proof ventilation or lighting. Dont be such a wuss. Live on the edge man !! Seriously, depending on the size of your shop, safety may or may not be a major concern. Be that as it may, (dont you just love that expression?) is there anyway that you can spray outdoors? It is being done by lots of folks. Nitrocellulous lacquer dries dust and tack free in only a few minutes and can then be moved indoors. You can apply all of your coats, clean up your equipment and your tools and yourself and be done in less than an hour. You wont have to wake up tomorrow and look at it again as a 'to be done' item.

.......I also want to use he gun for general spray painting (Auto related stuff is my other hobby). That tells me that you will need a fairly good gun.

Bob.
    I think you can get a very good gun for around $200 - $300 dollars. I leave the choice of guns to others to help you out.

OOOOPS !!!! I just realized you live in Toronto. That pretty much eliminates spraying outdoors most of the year. Lets get back to living on the edge. Or....maybe you can use waterborne finishes which I am totally unfamiliar with. Sorry.
    Last edited by Tony Bilello; 11-22-2009 at 12:50 AM.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    I think you can get a very good gun for around $200 - $300 dollars. I leave the choice of guns to others to help you out.

OOOOPS !!!! I just realized you live in Toronto. That pretty much eliminates spraying outdoors most of the year. Lets get back to living on the edge. Or....maybe you can use waterborne finishes which I am totally unfamiliar with. Sorry.
    Yes, I break the rules a lot already!. I do have an area set up for welding that has decent air extraction, just not explosive rated motors. I have done a lot of spray can work in this room, wearing a respirator, and figuring I am not at a critical level of stuff in the room for an explosion. (I have a good life insurance policy) Shooting outdoors is not possible right now at my latitude, but I could have the door open and the heat on as well.
    Thanks for all the responses. While Latex might work, I want to get some time under my belt with a specialized product that is made for furniture. I know nothing about spray guns other than some brand names.
    Bob S.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I spray pigmented waterborne lacquer from Target Coatings. You can custom-tint it yourself with universal colorants, or you can buy some colors pre-mixed. Both are available from Homestead Finishing.
    Thanks, I'll check them out.
    Bob S.