Thread: Call me crazy if you like............

Talking Call me crazy if you like............

You wouldn't be the first :-)..

Anyways, I have one of those beautiful (NOT!!!) Gold shower frames that houses the frosted glass in my main bathroom.

So what, you might think........

I hate it and was looking for ideas (MAYBE) of getting rid of the metal frame and using some kind of wood to make a new one. I was thinking of a hard wood that I would have to coat with some kind of outside sealer or shellac and maybe have to treat it one or twice a year.

As you can tell, this is just a thought right now but has anyone ever done anything like this or am I truly CRAZY?

thanks

White oak, teak,ipe and mahogany are all good woods around moisture. I wouldn't use shellac but rather varnish. Steve
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I am thinking that building a frame that will hold it might be the hardest part. On ours teh stupid enclosure froms around the front. Ours would not have anything solid enough to support it. Yah I hate our also--peice of junk always leaks--seals are worthless.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I wouldn't put wood on the inside of a shower enclosure. Look at all the water and soap scrum and hair and stuff inside. Making wood stand up to that will be fighting Nature, which is generally a losing battle.

Instead, I suggest leaving the aluminum in place, and covering the outside with wood. There'd be no wood inside, just aluminum. The outside -- the part which you look at -- would be nice wood. You could use almost any kind of wood and finish. The wood might mostly be U-channel, so it covers the front and kinda wraps around the edges of each piece of aluminum. It doesn't have to wrap very tightly -- just enough to be a visual screen. The only tricky part might be fastening the wood to the aluminum. I'd go with construction adhesive -- PL400 or the like.

You crazy? Naaaaaaaa........

I'm with Jamie on this. If you want the wood look, cap it, but leave the track as-is. And do use a species that can stand up to the moisture.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wouldn't use white oak. While it is very rot resistent around water, it turns black as soon a moisture gets under the finish. If you like the color of white oak, try locust instead -- similar color tone but very tight grain -- hard to find though, at least in Maine. I'm currently looking for some to replace the toerails on my sailboat.
    Ralph

Ipe...hands down the best moisture resistant wood on the planet...I would second the cap idea and leave the frame intact.