Thread: Powermatic 2000 Problem

Powermatic 2000 Problem

I folks, I'm haviing trouble with my saw and am hoping someone can help before I try Customer Support.

I worked the saw all day yesterday, nothing serious just 3/4 ply but off and on all day.

That evening I was cutting some dados for a bookshelf, ply again. When I tried to start the saw, it started but never came up to speed, something clicked and it stopped. If I push the stop button it resets, but when I try to restart it tries, but fails. I felt the motor, hot but not blistering. The click seems to be coming from the switch itself.

Hoping it was just overheated I called it a day to let it cool. This morning I tried again, same result, although after several tries, I did get it restarted.

Is this some sort of start-up capicitator or some such gadget that is failing? Hope it's not the motor. The saw is only a year and a half old and receives only moderate use of the weekends.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Larry

Larry,
    This saw runs on 240. You didn't mention whether you had tried the breaker. It could be one leg of the breaker has tripped.
    Pat

Larry, call powermatic they have had issues with this, you can do some searching here also as there were a few posts with the same issue. I think it is in the switch, but dont quote me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Larry, call powermatic they have had issues with this, you can do some searching here also as there were a few posts with the same issue. I think it is in the switch, but dont quote me on that.
    From what I remember, there is an adjustable breaker/overload in the switch. I think some have been able to open the switch and adjust it to a higher setting. It seems like that did not help for some users either.

I am pretty sure PM will make good on whatever you need.

HTH

5. Larry my PM2000 would not spin up with a full set of dado blades. PM sent me a new magnetic switch that I installed. This did not fix the problem, PM sent an authorized technician and he replaced the centrifugal switch inside the motor and one of the motor bearings. Problem was fixed thanks to PM after six weeks and several calls .

Ed

I am no expert, but the swtiches are a magnetic connection, therefore it seems that if one leg was having problems or there was a loose connection in the switch, the magnets may not fully contact. I had a similar problem, took apart the switch and checked the connections. Has not given me a problem since.

Follow-up

Thanks to all for your replies.
    After finding out others have had this problem I did a little research on old posts. It seems there is overload protection built into the switch.
    This can be adjusted. The factory setting is low and is borderline at supporting a full dado stack. I increased the setting a couple of notches.
    So far it's working fine but my fingers are still crossed.
    Again thanks to those that commented. SMC is awesome.

Larry