Thread: Ridgid MSUV vs. shop build mobile cart for SCMS

Ridgid MSUV vs. shop build mobile cart for SCMS

I have a Makita 10" Sliding Miter Saw mounted on a Ridgid MSUV (Miter Saw Utility Vehicle): http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/AC9944-M...e/EN/index.htm

The unit is built very well, but it's sort of a pain to roll out and set up, esp. for just one or two cuts on a small piece of wood. Also, it doesn't seem as accurate as a custom built unit because there is little fence other that the rather small fence on the Makita unit.

I really want to mount it permanently, but it would require a 36" wide (and probably 10-12 feet long) table because of the slider. I just don't have the room for something like that.

So the MSUV is OK for now, but I really want something better. I'm just a hobby woodworker, so the miter saw never leaves my garage shop. Is it worth it to build a nice miter saw cart with collapsible wings?

Something like this: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...ter_Saw_Stand/

Thanks,
    Greg

Greg

How about building some custom wings for your MSUV, then you could have the best of both worlds. You could build something that could be attached to and supported by the extensions on the MSUV. I have a MSUV with a 12" Bosch CMS and have thought of making something for it but haven't got around to it yet.

I do have a permanent mitersaw table in my shop with a 10" Dewalt mounted on it. The little Dewalt is very accurate and is used mostly for sizing stiles and rails for cabinet parts. The Bosch/MSUV is used for trim work. I like being able to bring it where the work is.

I've been looking and thinking about a SCMS stations for a little bit now, and I think I'm going to take the cabinet and adjustable riser from here (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...ter_Saw_Stand/) and the wings from here (http://mikefromwinton.com/mtrsaw.html).

I think the combination would be a good mashup of ideas. I really like the adjustable riser idea, because I won't have the same saw forever, but I also like the wings with a back on them to press the wood up against. I also think the wing support on the Popular Woodworking one seems unnecessarily complex for what it does.

I haven't started on this project yet as I have some other things to take care of, and some more tools to acquire, but I believe that's my plan going forth.

I like the designs that are simply a 24" wide bench with the saw mounted at the rear of the center, with 6" risers at the rear of the bench that serve as the wings for the cms. This way, the cms stays at the ready, but still gives you a good 18" of workbench space for other things to the left and right of the saw.

I had mine permanently mounted on a bench and went to an MSUV. Whenever I needed it in the house or to take it somewhere it was a pain to de-mount it and then I didn't have a stand. The MSUV is much more versitile.

I agree with Paul--if you want long tables, make them so they mount to the saw and the arms of the MSUV. Then you have the option to take them off and take it out of the shop. But I don't really miss the longer tables other than maybe for repetitive cuts.

I've gotta say, I'm a fan of my MSUV and have kept my SCMS on it from the day I bought the MSUV.

I think I'm with the other guys, why not try just building wings and using the MSUV?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reet View Post
    I've gotta say, I'm a fan of my MSUV and have kept my SCMS on it from the day I bought the MSUV.

I think I'm with the other guys, why not try just building wings and using the MSUV?
    Has anyone seen a picture or design of this? Maybe I just need a bigger fence for the Makita, that's actually my main complaint. It's not tall or long enough.

-Greg

Just my opinion here but

your cross cuts on long wood are more likely to be dead on square when guaged off the fence of the saw. A longer guaging surface will allow boards with a bit of character (not perfectly linear) to throw your end cut off by the average value of the non-linear condition. (?) Having said all that, I would recommend that you heed the advise of others and stick with the portability offered by your present stand. Or, perhaps acquire a stand that is not so difficult to erect.

Ed
    Come on in friend, here's what you'll find
    A well used shop where you can rest your mind
    The beer's cold and the wood is dry
    We keep the Red Oak piled 6 feet high

Greg -

I also have an MSUV, and have a love/hate relationship with it. I love the ability to drag my saw anywhere, but don't like the hassle of setting it up to use it. I also wish it had provisions to add an auxillary fence, but have not been able to come up with a suitable plan.

I would love to have a dedicated bench, but don't have the room for it at this point. Building a miter saw cart with folding wings is high on my shop priority list.

Permanent MSUV Wings

IIRC you can purchase another set of the clamping brackets ( the ones like your saw is mounted to) this would be the base of a shop made fence extension. The other end would rest on the adjustable rollers. This way they could be removed quickly if need be to collapse your MSUV to be mobile, and re-attached and line up perfectly....as long as you don't move your saw on its brackets. I don't have a plan to show you, but this should not be hard to do. I had an MSUV when I first bought my Ridgid 12" SCMS, and loved it, but went to a permanent setup. I don't plan on moving it around. BTW, the 12" SCMS was way too heavy for me to be "portable" without a trailer, or ATV ramps to get it up on my truck..
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

11. Well here is my version of my scms station that I got from this website http://mikefromwinton.com/mtrsaw.html. I already had the cart built and liked the design of the wings from Mikes.
    11-7-09 002.jpg

everyone went to miter saws instead of radial arm saws because they are easier to move around. Unless you do a BUNCH of work with that saw leave it on the cart. I have the newer style MSUV cart and quite happy with it