Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pine in a jointer

pine in a jointer

Hi Guys,
    I'm relatively new to the forum. I've been reading it a bit, but this is my first post.
    After all I have read, it seems like it would be best to get a jointer & planer to make sure all my boards are square and true, to get the best jointing out of them.
    I am looking into making some large doors-and given the cost of materials, I planned on making a mockup out of some basic 2x pine. My question-will using this cheap pine be bad for my blades? On the one hand I figure it is really soft, so it should not be bad for the blades, on the other hand it is pine-so maybe the sap would be bad for the blades.

Any thoughts-or alternatives on the mock-up?

thanks

Pine isn't bad on blades, but knots are. Knots are likely to put knicks on your knife edges.

Kevin, first off, welcome to the creek....Ive run 100s of BF of pine through my jointer and never a problem
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Except for knots,pine should be easy on your jointer. Are you cutting resin impregnated heart yellow pine?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guarnotta View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'm relatively new to the forum. I've been reading it a bit, but this is my first post.

Welcome to the Creek

After all I have read, it seems like it would be best to get a jointer & planer to make sure all my boards are square and true, to get the best jointing out of them.

You have the right idea, there are other methods but if you have the means to get a jointer and planer they are the fastest

I am looking into making some large doors-and given the cost of materials, I planned on making a mockup out of some basic 2x pine. My question-will using this cheap pine be bad for my blades? On the one hand I figure it is really soft, so it should not be bad for the blades, on the other hand it is pine-so maybe the sap would be bad for the blades.

Just check it for staples, (dirt/gravel if it is that cheap) etc... Knots can be bad as well but you can avoid them. I have put hundreds of board feet of 2x10 pine through my jointer/planer and a few projects later I am on the same set of knives Allot of pine will pitch up equipment but even that can be cleaned up. [

Obviously use cheaper blades if you can. I have a cheap combo blade I throw on my table-saw when I am cutting junk, and well I never use my SCMS for final crosscutting so I am too lazy to ever change the blade in that until it is dull

Any thoughts-or alternatives on the mock-up?

Your not going to run it through a jointer or planer but Mdf or Particle board can also work for mock ups, as well as insulating foam, hard board, cardboard, paper, whatever does the job

thanks
    Don't worry about it, be careful of major knots and run pine through your planer and jointer to your hearts content. If you run major amounts you might need to clean up some gunk at some point but you have to make a mess at some point to be a woodworker.

A good source for nicer pine, fir, etc... at home depot are floor joists as they are usually much straighter, and clearer as they need to be to meet the grade. 2x4's are nasty, period.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 11-22-2009 at 11:21 PM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

type of pine

I was just going to be using 2x6's, 2x8's and 2x10's. They are from HD, and not the best quality. I just picked stuff that was relatively straight.
    It sounds like I should be using knot free wood? Don't imagine I'm going to find that in the cheap 2x from HD. I'd have to get their best wood for that. I guess I could do that too, and just glue the stuff up.

If I glue stuff together to get to the thickness I want, I'm thinking I need to glue it up first, then joint/plane it. as I imagine there is no way to glue it totally aligned. But then I'm jointing glued up stock-and I'm thinking the glue will gum up the blades. Am I over thinking this...what is the best sequence for this?

I was just going to be using 2x6's, 2x8's and 2x10's. They are from HD, and not the best quality. I just picked stuff that was relatively straight.
    It sounds like I should be using knot free wood? Don't imagine I'm going to find that in the cheap 2x from HD. I'd have to get their best wood for that. I guess I could do that too, and just glue the stuff up.

If I glue stuff together to get to the thickness I want, I'm thinking I need to glue it up first, then joint/plane it. as I imagine there is no way to glue it totally aligned. But then I'm jointing glued up stock-and I'm thinking the glue will gum up the blades. Am I over thinking this...what is the best sequence for this?
    A knot or two isnt going to hurt your blades, joint what you need to joint.....if a knot is going to chip your blades just imagine what really hard wood will do
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    ..if a knot is going to chip your blades just imagine what really hard wood will do..
    In my experience, really hard wood slowly dulls blades, but it doesn't nick them. Knots, however, can nick the blades. I think what's happening is that the near-endgrain near the knot shocks the knife to nick the edge.

There is also some species-to-species difference that I don't understand. For instance, the knots in aspen just chew up planer knives. That's why the aspen in my local dealers has been surfaced with an abrasive planer, not the usual kind.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 11-22-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    In my experience, really hard wood slowly dulls blades, but it doesn't nick them. Knots, however, can nick the blades. I think what's happening is that the near-endgrain near the knot shocks the knife to nick the edge.

There is also some species-to-species difference that I don't understand. For instance, the knots in aspen just chew up planer knives. That's why the aspen in my local dealers has been surfaced with an abrasive planer, not the usual kind.
    Im not saying it cant happen, but if I need to joint a board, I will take that chance.....if I didnt use my jointer on bad or cheep lumber it would never get turned on. LOL
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

If you are in the south, you should be able to find southern yellow pine, which tends to be much more clear of knots, especially in the longer and wider lumber, than we can find here in the Pacific northwest.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

The only thing I would "warn" you about is sap build up on your machines when you run a lot of pine. The blades may "fling" sap inside the machine. Won't hurt it, but you might want to clean it up after you are done.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Kevin, welcome to the forum, and good luck with the dimensional lumber from HD.

There are a couple of issues with dimensional lumber, one is moisture content. I suggest you let the stuff sit in a dry area for a month or so.

The other issue is internal stresses in the wood.

You may find that the material warps so much that you can't get straight pieces without removing a large amount of material.

When I glue up items, I joint and plane them, glue them and then scrape/sand them.

With flat straight material, it will glue up flat and straight without requiring mechanical alignment methods. I tighten the clamps slightly, then use my finger tips to see if the pieces are aligned, a light tap with the side of my hand and they slide into alignment.

Regards, Rod.

Kiln dried S-P-F 2Xs often have knots hard enough to nick a blade. You could use doug fir, but a lot of that is sold green. You might look to see if there's a sawmill in your area since they're likely to have something "cheap" for sale.

Pete

Kevin, welcome.
    as others have said, should be no problem running pine through your machines. depending on your location you'll probably be getting either doug fir or southern yellow pine from HD, either way my only advice is to stick to 2x10's and 2x12's as much as possible, rip them down to needed dimensions in your shop. the bigger boards tend to be straighter and less knotty. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    The only thing I would "warn" you about is sap build up on your machines when you run a lot of pine. The blades may "fling" sap inside the machine. Won't hurt it, but you might want to clean it up after you are done.
    Ditto this for your saw blades and router bits. Sap (pitch) build up will cause heat to build up and will cause your blades to dull faster. Clean'em up after a project.

-Brian