Thread: Weekend progress

Blog Entries

Weekend progress

It took a while, but I finally figured out my wall design that houses the gate. Fabricated most of the pieces the week before and did the demo and construction over the weekend. Nothing was square or plumb - i had to remind myself, "construction not furniture." Jamb stops are still awaiting sealer and Pull / push hardware awaits installation. Haefale didn't include the through bolt attachment, so while I have the stainless steel handles, they are expensive paperweights. Sorry for the lousy photos but I am tired.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

One grand looking entrance gate Shawn.

Thanks for the pics of it installed.

Looks great in place! Excellent choice on the design of the "connectors" to tie everything together. Looks very nice!

Wow, that looks like it should be on the inside of a house. Is that walnut? or mesquite

Those look fantastic "up and running"... well done!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    "construction not furniture." Jamb stops are still awaiting sealer and Pull / push hardware awaits installation. Haefale didn't include the through bolt attachment, so while I have the stainless steel handles, they are expensive paperweights.
    That is looking pretty good. I know what you mean about the construction, not furniture. . .

Hafele has done that to me twice on commercial jobs. But, one phone call and they normally straighten it out.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Blog Entries

Thanks

Thanks for all the nice undeserved compliments. All I can see are the mistakes or things I would do over.

It is afromosa - a teak like material from Africa. I suffer from trying to overdo most everything. First it was going to be a project to practice my joinery skills. Then it expands to the entry gate. After which, "You can't just mount that in the old fence!?!" It became this monumental quasi-furniture piece. I then suffered through the non-plumb CMU wall (behind the granite) and the original not plum, not square, and not-planer attachment to the house.

I needed to finish before I head to Europe this weekend. I still have five days worth of finishing to complete the job. This finish really pops the grain.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    GREAT work....... Beautiful wood to.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution