Thread: Want to build first piece of furniture...

Want to build first piece of furniture...

can you pls help me deconstruct this day bed

looks like 3 boxes joined

not looking to for any high end joinery - would be good to learn along the way but not a must have - hidden metal fine

here are the dimensions, but i have no plans - so trying to reverse engineer to be able to duplicate (not the baskets...just the bed/cubbies)

thx

Overall: 39" wide x 75" long x 16" high
    Accommodates standard twin mattress
    Cubbies: 22" wide x 19.5" deep x 13" high
    Baskets: 21" wide x 17" deep x 12" high
    Basket Interiors: 20" wide x 16" deep x 11" high

Blog Entries
    Have you tried Sketchup? There are some good tutorials here in the creek.... That looks like it would be a good sketchup project!

My neighbor over in Lawrenceville will probably recommend a piece of paper and a pencil.... but, the end result will be the same....

You'll have a plan....

Can't wait to see how it all turns out.
    Last edited by Ed Sallee; 11-26-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Ed Sallee is slick with the SU. I, on the other hand, would be a pencil and paper guy.

If I were building this, I would build a simple plywood box (75 x 39) with two dividers for the cubbies. Then apply face frames to the open cubby sides, and a similar frame for the paneled end.

Looks like they have an overhang on the top/end, and you could do that and apply edge veneer or a thin strip of wood to cover the plywood edge. There are a number of ways to address that.

Also, looks as though it may be on a 1.5" base to hold it up. You could do that with a 2x4 web frame laid flat.

(Edit) On second look (didn't notice there were several pics!) looks like most of the pics show 3 separate boxes.

Pretty simple build unless you complicate it. Sometimes, that happens to me. One can get caught up in the trees, and fail to see the forest.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 11-26-2009 at 1:06 PM.

Do you have sketchup? This bed inspires me for an unrelated project, but the design is somewhat similar. Im working on something like this in sketchup that Ill show ya if interested.

thank you

what type/thickness plywood would you use for box?

what type/thickness plywood would you use for dividers?

when you say overhangs, not sure i follow - do you mean that the top is a bit bigger all the way around than the rest of the box such that when you put on the face framing it is then flush? - if yes, i see what you mean

what size is the face framing in your view?

on the base, i think what you are saying is that because the cubby is 13 high (inner dimension) and overall height is 16, their are 3 inches to apportion - assuming 3/4" plywood, you have top (3/4) air (13) bottom (3/4) leaving another 1.5" - so you are saying that you lay the plywood box on top of 2x4 base laid flat - right? - and what does a "web" base mean? - 2x4 rectangle with innner pieces like slats? - and the outer dimensions for this base would be the total outer dimension (39x75) minus XX for the face framing - so if face framing is .5" it would be 38.5 x 74.5 - yes?

would you start with bottom then put sides dividers then top? - or build box and then insert the dividers?

how would you attach everything - brad nails and glue?
    Last edited by Ed Lebby; 11-26-2009 at 1:18 PM.

Dave - i just downloaded it based on the earlier comments - would greatly appreciate the file and any other tips on using it - thx ed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lebby View Post
    Dave - i just downloaded it based on the earlier comments - would greatly appreciate the file and any other tips on using it - thx ed
    Here is a link to some very good SU tutorials......

It's easy once you get the "way it works" down....

See notes
    3/4"
    Same, however, if you build 3 separate boxes, obviously dividers are not an issue. And, some of the pics sure seem like that is the case.
    when you say overhangs, not sure i follow - do you mean that the top is a bit bigger all the way around than the rest of the box such that when you put on the face framing it is then flush? - if yes, i see what you mean
    That is what it appears to be.
    I would guess 2.25" or so on the bottom horizontal (you would need to allow for the base of 1.5" and the .75 ply), and 1" on each cubby on the vertical. It also appears that they have used a thicker face frame as there is either a molded interior edge, or a spacer.
    on the base, i think what you are saying is that because the cubby is 13 high (inner dimension) and overall height is 16, their are 3 inches to apportion - assuming 3/4" plywood, you have top (3/4) air (13) bottom (3/4) leaving another 1.5" - so you are saying that you lay the plywood box on top of 2x4 base laid flat - right? - and what does a "web" base mean? - 2x4 rectangle with innner pieces like slats? - and the outer dimensions for this base would be the total outer dimension (39x75) minus XX for the face framing - so if face framing is .5" it would be 38.5 x 74.5 - yes?
    Don't have time to do the math - company is coming in the door!
    would you start with bottom then put sides dividers then top? - or build box and then insert the dividers?
    See above on separate boxes.
    Glue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lebby View Post
    thank you

In light of all these basic questions (this is considered basic knowledge for a woodworker) you might want to start out with a project that is smaller and less complicated. build a few basic projects first and you will build your skill level also. jumping into a project like this will cause you to struggle, possibly discouraging you from learning more about carpentry or worse yet you will fail to deliver the level of quality that you have the potential for.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Go to 3D Warehouse under the File menu and go to Get Models. Search the models for "boxbed". Comes up first in the results. You can move things around to see how its built, according to my interpretation. Consult the help file for a quick rundown of the tools and how they are used. You dont need to learn much to figure out how to move things around and break the model apart. Any questions, just ask.

I should note, that model is a bit rough. No notes or any dimensions etc. We are headed out to the big turkey feast so I thought Id give you what I have. I used on solid top for the bed in the model, but you obviously could use three separate tops as your pics desribe.
    Last edited by Dave Westover; 11-26-2009 at 1:47 PM.

thanks to all