Thread: Cabinet question.....

Cabinet question.....

i can't seem to find a solid answer to this question. where do ya'll place the floor of your cabinets in relation to the toe kick? level with the toe kick or an inch above the toe kick.

thanx
    brad
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

I put mine level with the 4" toe kick...I hate wasted space...I also use a 2" lower rail on the cabinet so it hangs an inch and a quarter into the tk. That leaves a 2 3/4" tk.

It depends.

Most of my cabinets are all face frame cabinets (vs Euro-style). I like to leave at least 3" between the floor and the bottom of the bottom rail for a toe kick. I also prefer to have at least a 2" wide bottom rail. In this scenario, I'll cut my dado for the bottom shelf so that the shelf ends up being 1/8" below the top edge of the bottom rail.

If I'm going for maximum cabinet space, I'll drop the bottom of the shelf down to the bottom of the rail.

When I want a nice stop for my inset doors, without the look of a glued-on piece, I'll put solid wood edging on the front of my bottom plywood shelf, and raise it proud (taller) than the top of the bottom rail by 1/4" to 3/8". That way, the inset door will never hiper-extend on the hinge towards inside the cabinet.

Todd

The solid answer is the way you want to build them. Any way you feel comfortable with or the fastest for you.

I place my bottom 2" rail, 4" from the floor. Then raise the deck 1/4" below the top of the rail so the toe kick material is 5" tall. I set the deck there so I don't have to make the seam between the deck and the back of the rail perfect. I don't like to see a big ledge down to the deck inside a cabinet.

On upper cabinets the space behind the rail works out to be 1" because I still lower the deck inside by 1/4" for the same reason.
    Roger

The WoodCrafter

I go a different route. I don't put a face frame rail under the cabinet doors It's just a 3 sided face frame. The toe kick is 3 1/2 inches high and the cabinet box over hangs the toe kick 3 1/2 inches. I make them so the bottom shelf sits on top of the toe kick. The bottom shelf then acts as a door stop.

gotcha!!!!!!!!!

got it..... thanx all!! what i was doing just didnt look right, but it's all good.

these are the vanities for my parents and i couldnt remember what i did for the deck/toekick on the last set of cabinets i built. short timers syndrome.

todd, great minds think alike..... the description you gave is exactly what i'm doing....... thanx to everyone for the replies.

i've got some great ideas now!!

thanx again
    brad
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

The bottom of the bottom shelf is the top of the toe kick at 3.5" in my cabinets.