Thread: Light fixtures in cold weather

Light fixtures in cold weather

Hi Folks,
    I am about to wire up my new workshop and that will include light fixtures. I read the forum topic that went by a few weeks ago about the Home Depot Lithonia T-8 4 bulb fixtures and I have decided on these.
    My question is if anyone is using these in cold weather. I live in New Hampshire and my workshop is attached to an unheated barn. There will be several instances where I will walk in and flip on the lights with the workshop being quite cold in the winter. I want to make sure they will be able to come on at cold temperatures. If I am going to work in the workshop I will heat it but initially it will be cold.
    Thanks

Make sure that the fixtures that you buy have a cold starting balast. I can't tell you the technical details of what that means, but living in Wisconsin means that I know that I need them!
    For what it's worth, when I first finished my shop I bought a bunch of cheap florescent fixtures from Home Depot. Within the first few years virtually every one of the balasts failed, even though they were supposed to be cold starting. I ended up replacing every fixture in my shop with better quality ones. Learned once again that scrimping on something initially is not always the cheapest route!

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Camire View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I am about to wire up my new workshop and that will include light fixtures. I read the forum topic that went by a few weeks ago about the Home Depot Lithonia T-8 4 bulb fixtures and I have decided on these.
    My question is if anyone is using these in cold weather. I live in New Hampshire and my workshop is attached to an unheated barn. There will be several instances where I will walk in and flip on the lights with the workshop being quite cold in the winter. I want to make sure they will be able to come on at cold temperatures. If I am going to work in the workshop I will heat it but initially it will be cold.
    Thanks

Not sure of the particular model numbers involved, but Im using Lithonia 4 bulb t 8's in an unheated portion of my shop and they so far have worked fine. It takes a few minutes for them to warm up and brighten up when the temperature drops, but its not really an issue. Its about 25 now, and it only took a minute for them to come to full brightness. As to any long term problems with them in cold weather, ive only had them up for 2 years but so far so good.

And I havent changed a light bulb in 2 years!

I converted my T12 fixtures to T8 several years ago.

I bought premium electronic ballasts, they were about $20 each, by the case.

I live in Toronto, and they start just fine in my unheated garage.

Regards, Rod.

5. Izzy,
    Cold weather start must include proper ballasts as well as tubes. It is true that T8 lamps will start at zero degrees but below 60 you may only get 1/2 the lumens (actual amount of light) from the tubes. You may want to look at on fixture that is designed for cold weather. Lithonia has a strip, stock # UN296HO, that uses 2 T12 cold weather lamps that will start at 20 below zero with little or no warm up at the frosty temps. It would be a good idea to use at least one of these fixtures for general light and fill in with other types that are not as important that you can wait for them to warm up. I have had days when it has taken 60 or more minutes for a fixture to "light" up when it was down around 40 degrees in the shop.

Bob

Thanks to everyone for the information. I am thinking that perhaps I should talk the people at the local electrical supplier and see if they have anything for cold weather.

I have a bunch of T8 lights in my unheated garage. The lowest temp I noted was 1 C degree above freezing. They start just fine and without perceivable difference in intensity. The exception is one fixture where I installed those daylight(?) type, a little yellower. These seem to be slightly dimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I converted my T12 fixtures to T8 several years ago.

I bought premium electronic ballasts, they were about $20 each, by the case.

I live in Toronto, and they start just fine in my unheated garage.

Regards, Rod.
    I have an occasional starting problem with one of three 8' T8 fixtures in my garage. I am guessing it is time to replace the ballast in that unit but I don't know the difference between a crappy electronic ballast versuse a better quality electronic ballast or a premium electronic ballast. What kind of ratings do I look for to differentiate between the good, the bad and the ugly electronic ballasts?

FWW has had 2 articles about shop lighting.

One article was written by Jack Lindsey IIRC. He's a retired lighting engineer and a member here. In the article he details the rating differences between ballasts and he points out what to look for to purchase a quality ballast and light fixture. Not all ballasts are the equal.

Like most things you get what you pay for.

In the article he give formulas for laying out shop lighting. It takes in consideration your age, the working height...the ceiling height etc.

Based on the recommendations of a couple of Creekers, I went to Fine Wood Working website, purchased article and used it to layout the lighting in my new shop.

There are no shadows in the working areas and everyone who's seen agrees it's well lit! I have no buzz when they are on.

The article is still available at their website for purchase.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....