Thread: Emperor Grandfather Clock Help

Emperor Grandfather Clock Help

My father passed away in 1973. Since then I have been hauling around a almost complete grandfather clock (99% complete, except for movement).
    Emperor advertised on the back of every magazine in those days if you remember. They made two models, the one they advertised and another larger one. This is the larger one.
    Any ideas on where I can get a movement? I have called Emperor and they aren't much help. I also have the smaller one they built and I am not too impressed with the movement.
    Any help would be appreciated.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    you could try www.klockit.com.

James

Thanks, James. As we say in Texas, I shoulda thunk of it. I have seen their adds in different WW magazine.

Try klock kit they should have something that should fit. If you still have the prints for the clock it may give you the size or style that would fit, with that info you may be able to cross ref. to a works that they have. You can also call their tech support line and they can refer you to a works that will work. I've used them a few years ago and they were very helpful.
    Good luck and happy holidays
    Tom

Emperor clocks for many years used a movement made by Jauch. These were not high grade movements and tended to wear out prematurely. Jauch went out of business about 1990. In order to hold down costs, they used a soft alloy of steel in the arbors and pivots. The pivots therefore were not highly polished and wore rapidly. The best way to get the clock running again would be to take the movement to a competent clock repairer. He will install bronze bushings in the plates to reduce the tendency to wear. New synthetic lubrication and the bushings should keep it running many decades if occasionally serviced.

A new movement made by another manufacturer would not directly fit in your case. Dials are mounted differently, movements are fastened into the case in different fashion, etc. Although it is possible to do so, it could require major case modification.

To find a competent repairer near you, try to find one that is an AWI (American Watchmakers Institute) certified clockmaker. Here is a link:
    http://www.watch-clock-makers.org/

Blog Entries
    I built the smaller Emperor clock abut 20 years ago, I used the Emperor movement, it's been cleaned & oiled once & it's still going
    Dennis