Thread: miter vs butt joint?

miter vs butt joint?

I am "wrapping" the tops on my miter station outfeed benches with 1x1.75 red oak "banding" and wondered if I should miter the corners or just use a straight butt joint? The tops are 2 layers of 3/4 MDF with 1 layer of 1/4" hardboard on top. I will be using Formica brand laminate on top and then will slightly ease the edges once the laminate is in place. I was thinking that the mitered joints would not be seen that much, what do you'all think?

I think that this decision is up to you! There's nothing wrong with doing a butt joint in this case. Which do you prefer? Answer that question and go for it!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Actually, a miter is a butt joint. Just at a 45 degree angle. So the only question is will you be bothered by seeing the end grain? If so miter it. If not, don't. It will make absolutely no functional difference.
    David DeCristoforo

miters are a lot trickier. i just butt jointed the solid wood edgebanding before applied the laminate.

Blog Entries
    I have one work surface mitered and one butted (accepting David's point about them both actually being butt joints ). I don't really pay any attention to them anymore to tell you the truth. I just work on them. Essentially the choice is yours.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Should you decide to make the joint a "square" butt joint, my preference would be to have the exposed end grain on the ends of your outfeed tables. As you're standing in front of the miter station, you'll have a cleaner looking front edge, IMO.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Thanks to all who responded. I guess what i should do is miter a couple of pieces on one end ans see which one I like best. I was planning on putting the endgrains on the end not the front. It seems to be more about visual preference with no functional differences....

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Now to the question: This is a shop fixture, right? Not something you're making for a client, or for your home?

Just checking...