Thread: Jet Oscillating Edge Sander model OES-80CS ?’s

Jet Oscillating Edge Sander model OES-80CS ?’s

Does anyone have one of these? If so what your thoughts in regards to this machine? They are on sale delivered with tail gate service for $770.00. Which seem like a good price?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Nobody using oscillating belt sanders these days?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have the Jet non-oscillating model - I don't think the oscillating model was available when I bought mine. I use mine a lot, can't beat it for fitting inset doors and drawers into a face frame. I'll assume the fact that it oscillates saves belt wear a bit. +- $775.00 delivered sounds about right but I haven't comparison shopped these in years.

I'd like a bigger table though.

I'd buy mine again (the oscillating model this time) in a New York minute.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

While I'm not familiar with the Jet I can say my edge sander is the MOST used sander in my shop and I have quite a few stationary sanders. Just be careful as you will want to upgrade to a bigger one. My first one was a shop built 6"x 132" that I built myself:

Then I got urge to go bigger and just picked this up a couple of weeks ago(for less than the Jet's advertised price!)

This pic don't do this sander justice as it was taken right after unloading and has since been cleaned up. It takes a 8"x166" belt and the belt AND platens both osscilate on it. I would say go for it and you will wander how you done without one for so long.

Good price for a workhorse machine

Richard, that sounds like an excellent deal on a nice machine. I paid almost $1,000 delivered but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I was saving for a big jointer at the time but was weary of doing so much hand sanding.

I bought the Jet oscillating edge sander over a year ago. It took a little time to learn to use it, but once I got the hang of it I use it as much as any tool but the table saw. The power behind the belt will chew up a soft board quickly with the coarse grits but a 120 grit belt seems to be the one that works best for me in most applications.

Its main function is, of course, to remove saw marks on board edges and performs that function very well. The contour table on the end of the machine has been a big bonus that cleans up bandsaw marks on gentle curves. If you are careful it can square up a door that isn't too far out and it quickly cleans up rounded edges and saves a good bit of time and wrist fatigue with the PC 505 sander.

My one issue with this machine has been dust control. The so-called dust port is quite insufficient and I have resorted to building a shroud out of plywood to contain most of it. I vaguely recall a thread here on the creek regarding dust control for these types of sanders. Mine still needs improvement so I like to time my sanding with clear days when I can roll the sander outside to the apron of my shop to do most of the heavy sanding outside. That gets to be a challenge here in the Cascades during these winter months.
    Yes Dear, I could build that for you if I only had that new ...

Where's this sale?

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Does anyone have one of these? If so what your thoughts in regards to this machine? They are on sale delivered with tail gate service for $770.00. Which seem like a good price?

Thanks Richard
    If I may ask, who is selling these at $770?
    FRITZ

NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE.
    Buckaroo Banzai [/SIGPIC]

Tools Plus just take 15% off of the in the shopping cart price and add $6.50 for tail gate shipping. That is for all there PM and Jet tools. Till monday and then the sale if over.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006