Thread: Bowl steady-homemade version

Bowl steady-homemade version

I made this bowl steady some months ago and seem to be using it more and more often for medium to small size HF’s. Works well on bowls too. No cost involved as all the parts were either left overs from making my big 4 wheel steady and a bit of scrap plywood. I do need to make a thinner plate that goes under the bed for mounting. The present one hangs on the bed webbing on the DVR but clears the jet just fine. Thought I would share as this is a great accessory for me. I wanted the Oneway steady but just get a kick out of making my own tools when I can….Bill…
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice design Bill! Simple yet effective! I like how you captured the 2 T-track rails to prevent them from moving - a problem that I have yet to correct on my own steady! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

thanks for sharing those pics. I need to make a steady rest and those pics have given me some ideas.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Simple but works. Well done Bill.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice work Bill. Sometimes a smaller steady is more convenient to use than the big one.
    Richard in Wimberley

I made one of these but I must be doing something wrong. I get my blank turned round and get the general shape I want. But when I try to apply the rest to the side of the turning it hits in some places and not in others. Like the turning is out of round. I have tried going back and truing everything up but it still does it. I havent been able to narrow the problem down yet but it seems this is a problem with my turning overall and not just the steady rest.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

very nice William, one good thing you did not mention is that you can check the thickness with calipers with that design, when you box the hf you have a very hard time checking thickness unless you unhook everything

Thanks for sharing the pics Bill. A steady rest of some kind is on my to do list.

Jim,if you make your arms capable of independant movement rather than fixed you will be able to adjust to eliminate that problem...Bill.

That and a donut chuck are on my list too. What's the difference in performance between the two wheel and three wheel versions?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Dan the 4 wheel gives a lot more support for taller broader pieces. The smaller stuff really only needs the 2 wheels to stop the side thrust from causing flex. 4 wheel works but is a bit of overkill.