Thread: Has any one used a 3 phase converter on Sawstop?

Has any one used a 3 phase converter on Sawstop?

I just pick up a new to me Sawstop CB industrial. The motor is a 5hp 3ph. I don't have 3 phase power, but I have 3 options and i'm looking for opinions.
    1: I have a old H-A-S static phase converter (see photo). I used it years ago on my wadkin slider when I had a shop. I don't know if using this is a good idea with the electronic of the Sawstop. Has anyone else done this?
    2: I also have a next to new Baldor PL3519M 3hp single phase motor siting around. I could weld up a mount and use it instead. It has a 5/8 shaft so I would need to by a pulley, which probable is not cheap. I do like the idea of the Baldor on the saw.
    3: Sell the phase converter, and Baldor, and purchase the Sawstop 3hp single phase motor. This is probably the best option, but just want your opinions.

Thank
    Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ss

Gary,don't know much about the effects of a converter on your saw,but the pulley is not that much even for the cast iron ones.New at Grainger or McMasters-Carr they are not dirty cheap but compare to your other options it is.On the bay site(auction)you can fine them cheap.IMO-I would think that if you deviate from the orginial design of your Saw Stop that would also change the UL approval.Which means if an accident should ever happen that they will not be held accountable.Just a throught,lets see some pics----Carroll

3ph converter would probably be fine, but I would call sawstop and ask them. They should be able to answer your question better than anybody.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schwartz View Post
    3ph converter would probably be fine, but I would call sawstop and ask them. They should be able to answer your question better than anybody.

I would call sawstop as well.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Not sure I'd want to run a machine on a static convertor in any event, particularly one with an electronic brake. Worth a call to SS technical service. Have you considered a rotary convertor? Sell the Baldor, sell the static convertor, buy a decent rotary convertor? I recently bought a GENTEC ROTARY convertor that uses a Baldor 10HP 3PH generator motor for the third leg, so that way you would be powering the saw with a Baldor! I'm going to use it to push a 5HP shaper which a pretty basic machine, but they claim the voltage balance is accurate enough to power a CNC. Might work for a SS? Cost around $700, and that puts real full power 3PH in your shop to push ANY 3PH machine that should come along in this size range. And you wouldn't be getting involved with any home made motor mounts or improvised pulleys. What is the drive train on the SS? I'd guess either a multi V belt or a three cogged belt set up? Maybe not quite as easy to improvise and set up as a single standard pulley machine?

Carroll, The cast top is off the saw for transportation, so pictures would not do it justice yet. If anyone would like to see photos of the inside, I would be happy to do so.
    I will call SS and ask about phase converter use on their saws. The static unit I have needs to be placed between the switch and motor. Not ideal.
    I may check locally for a rotary unit, but right know I'm feeling more inclined towards a new SS motor. I wonder if I need to upgrade the switch if I use a 5hp?
    The saw also came without a fence, so that will be my next thread.

Gary - I also came into a second hand 5hp 3 ph. Sawstop. IIRC, Sawstop does offer a single phase 5hp motor option (you would also need to replace the magnetic switch control) that would enable you to switch out to single phase at a pretty reasonable price - less than the cost of a good new 3 ph rotary converter. I chose to keep the 3 phase because I wanted the additional power of the 3ph.

I would not run the saw on a static phase converter, though, if I could avoid it. If you go the route of a rotary phase converter, you will need a minimum motor rating of 7.5 hp - as the motor on a table saw is a medium load start (I tried but could not start the saw with a 5 hp RPC). If you go the RPC route (which has worked well for me), you do not want the generated leg of your converted 3 ph. to run through the brake electronics (a small motherboard mounted to the left of the paddle switch) - On my saw, that meant connecting the generated 3rd leg to the middle of the three bottom terminals at the back of the saw.

The user manual for the saw is very complete and helpful - much better and more comprehensive than most - with a complete wiring diagram (can be downloaded from their site). Most importantly, I found the folks at Sawstop to be extremely helpful and generous with their time - even though I was not an original purchaser.

Good luck- you will enjoy the saw either way.

Just found this thead, I had misplaced it in the tools section.
    Sawstop was closed through the holidays, but I reached them today.
    You are right, Sawstop has fantastic customer support.
    I placed the static phase unit for sale in Kijiji, but will keep the Baldor because, well, just because.
    A 10 hp rotary unit in Canada seems to run about $1500, and are scarce to find.

Sawstops price is the same for either the 3hp or the 5hp motor, and a lot cheaper than I thought they would cost. As you stated Ed, I would also need a contactor for the 5hp 1ph.

Thank for your help
    Gary

Glad to hear it Gary - Good luck and enjoy that saw!