Thread: Leigh FMT

Leigh FMT

Anyone had any experience with this mortise/tenon setup?

I own one (the older one). It is sweet and easy to use and very reliable repeatable. What specifics do you want to know. It is expensive and works awesome (like many tools/jigs). It keeps with Leigh's commitment to excellence in their tools and documentation. Search youtube for some videos.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Fmt

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I own one (the older one). It is sweet and easy to use and very reliable repeatable. What specifics do you want to know. It is expensive and works awesome (like many tools/jigs). It keeps with Leigh's commitment to excellence in their tools and documentation. Search youtube for some videos.
    Agree completely. I've had mine for about 3-4 years. Works incredibly well and is stoutly built with plenty of well thought out adjustment features to fine tune the jig and your fit.

The instruction manual is in English only, incredibly thorough and well written.

Only area it doesn't excel in would be routing mortises or tenons on the end of long (48"-60"+) work pieces. Since they have to hang straight down, you sort of need to put the whole thing up really high and stand on a step ladder.

Since I'm not a door maker, it works great for me.

I've also used a JDS Multi Router and prefer my FMT.

I've never used the new, lighter weight version, so I can't comment on that one.

Regards,

John

Leigh FMT

Thanks guys. I have their dovetail jig and they seem to make a quality product. Was just looking for some general info before I pop for $800+

it's every bit as easy and accurate as their videos suggest, a very slick tool.

only reason i sold mine was i got into more door and window making than anything else, and it's not really optimal to use to make a mortise inside of a cope/stick joint, a traditional square chisel mortiser is much easier for that. if i had any desire to make furniture that required flat shouldered mortises i would've kept it.

According to the reading I have done, the new cheaper steel one does EVERYTHING the $800 alum does for $449!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

the new one also has a better clamping system than the old one, from looking at the pictures. the plastic clamps were my only complaint about the old one.

Less expensive version of FMT seems solid...

Just received the "Super FMT" which is made out of heavy gauge steel rather than milled aluminum. Got it from Highland Hardware for $399.

It seems very solid and has all the fittings and capabilities of the original $800 version (based on a careful reading of the manual). It takes the same accessories for making larger and smaller mortise & tenon joints.

I will be setting it up & trying it out Sunday. Will report here.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sandman View Post
    Just received the "Super FMT" which is made out of heavy gauge steel rather than milled aluminum. Got it from Highland Hardware for $399.

It seems very solid and has all the fittings and capabilities of the original $800 version (based on a careful reading of the manual). It takes the same accessories for making larger and smaller mortise & tenon joints.

Mike

I have been eyeing the Super FMT for awhile. I am really interested to hear your thoughts. Looking forward to your review.

I've had mine for about 2 years; just had it pay for itself by building 10 chairs and a table. The build was something like a Mission Style, so the number of mortises and tenons was huge. I am pleased and happy with the investment; I don't think I could have finished the table and chairs without it. Every chair glued up straight and square. I attribute alot of that to the FMT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sandman View Post

Mike

Alas, all I had time to do today (Sunday) was to set up the Super FMT - didn't get a chance to try it out. It will be a couple of weeks... Will post a report when I do.

As far as setup is concerned, with anything more complicated than a screwdriver it's important to read and follow the setup instructions. The ones for the mortise & tenon jig are crystal clear, with good photos. (You can get the from the Leigh website -- just dowload the manual.)

Mike