Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes, another lathe cabinet

Yes, another lathe cabinet

Well I hope some of you don't mind, but I borrowed a couple of ideas for this cabinet. It's just ash and oak ply I had. I am not real happy with it, but I'll have to live with it for now. Oh, I don't have all the hardware on yet. Hardware stores were closed today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dunno why you're not happy with that cabinet. It looks it'll work real fine to me. Good job.

Great looking cabinet. Very functional. I also really like the new "invisible blade" turning tools you are using. How often do they need to be sharpened?
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

can't figure why your not happy, it looks pretty good???

Looks darn good!

The tools look happy in thier new home! The thing I am most concerned about is that your shop is way to clean!! Great cabinet and keep on going for the brass ring, we never really get there but feeling that you can do better keeps us all going forward!

Great job,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

6. I would be proud of that project.

I agree that I would be proud to display that cabinet. Looks great and functional. I do have to agree with Jeff that the shop is way toooooooo clean.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks real nice, Ron.

I might have to borrow that idea as well.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Isn't that lathe in the dining room, the cabinet matches the kitchen cabinets, that is why it is so clean, the wife did it. Great job.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

What's Not To Like?

Trying to figure out what it is you don't like. I'm searchng for ideas for my own cabinet so I'm very curious about what you'd want to change on yours.

Kevin H

If you really aren't happy with it, send it to me!
    I would be proud to have it. It looks really pretty and functional.
    Blessings, Steve

Me

Well you could send it to me also! I will try to fix any flaws I find in a few years! Just kidding but you need more tools for the empty handles! Yes you shop is way too clean! Very nice cabinet! G

Nice work Ron! Well thought out! Curious as to what it is that you do not like about it - cause I must be missing something as it looks great to me!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Well lets see. I should have changed the design slightly adding a 3rd layer making the closed cabinet a total of 12" deep. Peg board only for hanging things.This still would have only allowed access to two sides at a time though. The back layer sides should have been about an inch deeper to hide the cleats on the back and compensate for the 1/4" backing. I added 3/4" strips to hide them. Hence the dovetails don't look quite right. The other thing is the location I had to hang it. The swinging doors could get in the way and reaching over a spinning object to get a tool is never a good idea. I'll most likely be moving a pipe to put the cabinet on the other side of the lathe head. The lower cabinet, not finished yet, will house the chuck jaws, face plates, etc. Oh, and those invisible blades don't rust, are very light, and never need sharpening.

Looks like a nice cabinet to me. Like the sloped bottom to prevent chips.