Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cabinet question

cabinet question

Hi all, I had a question about making kitchen or shop cabinets and wanted some feedback from th creek. I was wondering if this is a dumb idea, i do not want to make frameless cabinets, but i wanted to make faceframe cabinets with easier to mount drawer slides. I was wodering is it a dumb idea to make thinner rails to sit flush with the inside of of the carcass so you can mount the drawer slides directly to the carcass sides as opposed to shimming out of using brackets to attach to a cross memder in the rear. thanks in advance for any feedback.

My router table cabinet is built that way. I built the carcass out of 3/4" ply with 3/4" thick edging, not including the tenon. Tongue and groove cutters. All the pieces were cut to size first. Added the edging. Then cut the dados if memory serves me right. In effect you are adding thick banding to the edges. Seems like you could do that to kitchen cabinets as well, IMHO.

Yep, that works. You just have to place the rear rail where the holes on the slides are.

Another option is to bite a little extra material and double up the partitions.
    David DeCristoforo

I just built a bathroom vanity, and doubled the partitions like Dave recommended. Works great. I am going to start my kitchen very soon and I will use double partitions.

Sam

keep your stiles the same width but just align the inside faces flush. I do this all the time when a job calls for face frame cabinets. frameless, or euro cabinets, are designed to maximize the space available by eliminating the wasted space behind a faceframe and using specific hardware. to keep it simple i flush up the inside face of the plywood boxes with the inside edge of the faceframes so that the hinges and slides can be located properly.

double partitions are a waste of material especially when there are adjoining cabinets. i keep my faceframes at 1.25" and use a full door as an end panel to finish off any exposed cabinet ends.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

"...double partitions are a waste of material..."

Not really. If you have two adjacent drawer stacks, for example, you need a flush partition on each side. If you shim out your drawer glides on one side or the other, you will use almost as much material and spend a whole lot more time.
    David DeCristoforo

instead of double partitions or shimming out the drawer slides i just use a single side panel flush to the inside and leave the space between the cabinets for the overhang. less material and less time.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Have you thought about using under mount slides.
    fmr

"...use a single side panel flush to the inside and leave the space between the cabinets..."

Works for ends but for partitions, it still leaves you with a flush panel on one side and a void on the other.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Have you thought about using under mount slides.
    fmr
    i like using under mounts because they combine the look of traditional woodworking with my European cabinets.

they still require the inside face to be flush but have a bigger visual impact.
    S.M.Titmas.

-Anthony Bourdain

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    "...use a single side panel flush to the inside and leave the space between the cabinets..."

Works for ends but for partitions, it still leaves you with a flush panel on one side and a void on the other.

on cabinets that have an interior partition i use 2 pieces of 1/2" back to back to and use a 1" stile.

EDIT: whenever possible i keep the single interior partitions to a minimum and make individual cabinets for each function(ie door/drawer combo, drawer bank, etc). with furniture pieces i use a single partition for one side and strip of 3/4" ply for the other. usually solid ply for the drawer slide side and ply strips for the hinge plates. that way it only requires a 3" strip at the front of the cabinet for the plates. face that with an 1.5" FF stile.
    Last edited by sean m. titmas; 11-27-2009 at 9:21 PM.
    S.M.Titmas.

-Anthony Bourdain

Why side mount?

May I suggest you use a rear clips like Alfit or Blum. If your sides are a little out of perpendicular with the frame, the rear mounting is a whole lot easier to get drawers to land flat on frame. You'll save yourself time, material and headache. Nothing is sacrificed. Sidemounting is best with euro system holes, or if using lineal ball bearing slides.

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalo...php?p_ref=1482

"Double partitions a wast of material"

I don't think so... I guess if you think everything has to be built with the least amount of materials, and built in the least amount of time, = minimum standards.

I don't really care if I use a couple of extra sheets of plywood, or spend a little more time to get what I want, = high standards. To me, the end result really stands out.

I don't like frameless cabinets. However, I do like the euro hinges. So, I like using double partitions.

Sam

Could someone elaborate on the double partition idea please? I am lost.

Thanks