Thread: Remote for 3 phase DC motor

Remote for 3 phase DC motor

I am installing a used 15hp, 3ph Murphy-Rodgers dust collector along with some milling machines on a friend's lumber business property. It's a long story that I won't bore you with, but my own shop is on this property. Some of the machines (2 Northfield up-cut chop saws w/32" blades) are more than 100 feet from the dc.
    The thing has three motors: the large blower, the bag shaker and the air lock at the funnel bottom and they are set into sequenced motion by one switch (button) so I assume the remote device could be inserted there.
    Anyone know of a wireless remote designed for 3ph motor starts? It may not matter, I guess, because the gizmo that activates the computer that controls the sequencing must be single phase power. As you may have guessed, I'm no electrician.
    If those of you that are could point me to a remote, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Congodog
    FRITZ

NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE.
    Buckaroo Banzai [/SIGPIC]

Hi Fritz. Thats one heavy duty DC! My suggestion would be to connect the output of a 230V Long Ranger or Shop Fox remote to the magnetic coil of your DC's 15hp motor starter.

Since these remote switches will control only up to a 3hp 230V motor, you can control your large 3 phase motor, using it to energize the starter coil. That is, IF the coil is 230V.

Good Luck!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Talk to the guys that sell the remote switches. They're only good to 3 hp 230v when used as supplied, but they can also be wired in as a relay for larger motors. You could also have an electrician do it for you.
    good luck,
    JeffD

Fritz, I don't know anything about 3 phase. On my single phase 3hp DC, I made my own remote. I used a 110 remote from Radio Shack, and a contactor switch from the local electrical store. The remote activates the contactor switch, which turns on the 220 volt DC.

You need to see if you can get a 3 phase contactor switch for a large 3 phase motor.

Sam

Remote

Well, I got some info. The little computer chip that sequences the air lock, then the blower, then the bag shaker, etc. has a single phase leg to a transformer (to DC). Apparently that leg can be had.
    I'm talking to a fellow at FERNBROOK AUTOMATION that says he has one and will walk me thru it. Nice folks, alternative to Long Ranger too. Inexpensive, as well!
    Thanks to those that sent ideas!
    FRITZ

NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE.
    Buckaroo Banzai [/SIGPIC]

I think you might want to use a relay. Run the power from the remote to the relay and let the relay "do the work" of firing up the DC.
    David DeCristoforo