Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segmented Christmas Ornaments

Segmented Christmas Ornaments

I should say "somewhat segmented", nothing fancy like a real segmenter would do. These are all about 1.75-2 inches diameter, 6-7" long. The first one is Apricot with some strips of Padauk, Apricot finial and icicle. Next is Mahogany with Wenge strips, mahogany finial and icicle. Then the last two are Zebrawood with walnut strips, finial and icicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

V-e-r-y Nice! I'd be hard pressed to say which I liked best, probably #2 then #4, but they are all good.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Curt - very nice work on all of them! Great combinations of grain and color! You are really getting detailed on the finials! Very nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I would have to say that you are under-estimating your segmented talents! Really nice job.

Very nice.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

very nice...

I like em all! well done.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Your ornamants FLAT OUT ROCK!!!!
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Ditto what Robert said. They look like "real segmenting" to me too.
    Richard in Wimberley

Very cool. I like the subtle segmenting. Those would look good on my tree except they would make the ones I've made look bad

These are really, really nice. The last two are my picks! So, are these hollow? I keep asking that question of you guys that do these. I know they need to be lightweight, but I think I would try one of these if I didn't have to hollow it.

Of course, I guess one could hang bricks on a tree if the branches were big enough!

John,

I usually hollow the ornaments down to 1/32" thick and then after making the finial, I hollow it also, down to the very tip, usually around 1/64" thick. This keeps the weight down to about 4 grams total for the ornament. That way, they swing around in the breeze when the heater comes on.

Okay, okay, I actually make them with my pen mandrel using a 1/4" hole in the middle and just spin them to size. Make the finial so that it goes into the 1/4" hole and you are good to go. Start out with a solid wood body until you get it down and then try the segmented body. Good luck! YMMV

Dang Curt, those are beau T ful ...Bill..

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    John,

I usually hollow the ornaments down to 1/32" thick and then after making the finial, I hollow it also, down to the very tip, usually around 1/64" thick. This keeps the weight down to about 4 grams total for the ornament. That way, they swing around in the breeze when the heater comes on.
    Robert, you had me hooked until I got to the hollow finial!!!! Then, I knew the ornament wasn't the only thing blowing in the wind!

I may well try one of these! Thanks.

Beautiful ornaments Curt. Really like the different woods.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.