Thread: Book on different constuction styles i.e. Shaker, Greene and Greene, etc...

Book on different constuction styles i.e. Shaker, Greene and Greene, etc...

Does anyone know of a decent book that has a general overview of the different styles and their time periods? I'm looking for a book similar to what you might find for architecture where it's not really going in to great technical depth, just going over the details and how some of it came about. Basically a dummies guide to different furniture styles.

I've found some books on specific styles, but I've been wanting a book that contrasts and compares the styles and goes in to some of the history. I looked at a few things on Amazon, but I wasn't really sure if they went in to kind of detail I was looking for. So I figured I'd ask my fellow creekers to see if you guys had seen any books that would fit what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

-Stephen

+1 on this question also. It would be nice to find a book that helps compare the different styles

I've never seen ONE book that compares different styles. Not saying there's not one out there. Below is a link to a great source of individual books on individual styles.

http://www.taunton.com/searchTaunton...yles&x=11&y=12
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Blog Entries
    Popular Woodworking and Woodworking magazines are strong on Shaker, Arts & Crafts, and 18th century furniture. You might want to send a query to Chris Schwarz's blog on their web site. They probably have a book that will address your question.