Thread: Add another funnel to the pile

Add another funnel to the pile

I started at noon on my first NE (walnut) and at about 3:30 I was attempting to finish up the bottom and well the tenon broke on mine also. So just glued it back and called it a day. But was wondering about the shape of it. I think it looks like the antique pine bowl I posted a couple of days ago. Do i need to take more off of the bottoms or...... Different curvatures? I've never taken a class so I'm not sure as how to achieve these "classic" bowl shapes. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kevin, It looks good from here, except the angle of the picture makes the bottom look too flat. Can you show us a straight profile shot? Nice smooth curvature but just appears to flatten out too quickly at the bottom.
    Richard in Wimberley

Nice save. My eye wants to see the form taper more to the base... In other words, I'd like to see a smaller base. I struggle with curves/forms every time.

Good job on the upper part, bark and thickness looks great. I agree that the sides should curve in more towards the bottom. The outside shape likely made it difficult to maintain a consistent wall thickness near the bottom, leading to the negative thickness surprise.

Kevin - great looking bowl! Really pretty wood and you did a nice job keeping all the bark!

I haven't taken any classes either but one of those self-taught lessons for me was to make sure that when you use a tenon - start the outside curve of the bowl such that the tenon is not included in your design. Meaning - where the shoulder of the tenon and bowl meets - start your curve from that point and work your way to the rim from there. Hope that makes sense - cause once you get used to forming your curves that way - you won't be cutting through the bottoms any more when removing the tenon.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Yeah Steve thats exactly what happened. And I was wondering how you dont include the tenon in the shape of the bowl. Someon said the bottom looked flat and I was thinking that it almost had to be flat because of the tenon. Thanks for the pointer. I have another blank exactly like that one and will try again tomorrow.

Kevin... Steve may not have taken a class but he's got this turning thing down. I make my tenon first then proceed to making my outside shape. I also use a wall thickness gauge(the big scissor tongs) when in doubt.

Kevin - I am a firm believer in photos - so hope this helps.

External Curve.jpg

You can see in the photo where the blank and the tenon meet - a nice 90* angle which provides the best grip for the chuck jaws. In my case - the Talon chuck - I do know that some jaws require a dovetail but the premise holds true for both.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks for the photo steve. I was using the Gaget on the bowl but forgot that i had the flat spot so. When the Gaget said i needed to get a little bit thinner, i followed to the bottom of the bowl with my cut and there went the bottom WITH my cut!

Like others have said, I'd make the base a little bit smaller. and less of a foot
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

Kevin, What's a "Gaget"?
    Richard in Wimberley

You've already gotten some good advice. I just wanted to add that that's really going to be a pretty bowl. I love the white sapwood/dark heartwood combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Kevin, What's a "Gaget"?
    The Gaget measures bowl thickness. It's blue and can be purchased from woodcraft. It measures bowls up to 16" deep if I am not mistaken.