Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Cheap Buffing System

My Cheap Buffing System

For less than $20 I got this setup some time ago. I've just recently got around to making the hubs for mounting the buffing wheels.

The first pic is the whole setup. I haven't used anything but the red buffing compound and the one wheel so far. I probably won't be using the really coarse stuff.

The second picture is the wheel I've used the most. It's looking kinda scruffy.

The third pic is the hub detail.

The fourth is just a closeup of the two unused wheels, and the compounds.

And last, but not least, there's a picture for the former naysayers who were sceptical that this setup would be useful for buffing turnings.

The finish on the bowl is just standard Minwax wipe-on Polyurethane, and it's only been buffed with the red compound.

Yeah. Go spend your money on an expensive set. Go right ahead. I'm gonna stick with cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Who say nay Jim? I'm still using the white rouge that came with my Craftsman grinder about 33 years ago. Made my own buff though, as the original was too stiff and somewhat contaminated. Still using the grinder too, although it was demoted to #2 grinder a couple years ago.
    Richard in Wimberley

Jim - your system obviously works and works well! Great looking bowl! Thanks for sharing your buffing ideas!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Looks like your system works well. Bowl has a nice shine to it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks very good, where did you get the wheels?

This is a great idea. I'm going to borrow it, only I'm going to use my beall spindle thread tap instead of the chuck mount. That way I don't have to worry about the chuck slides hitting the bowl. I know what it feels like when I hit my hand....(@#$(*&). I've been using buffing wheels the last couple times in the shop, with mandrels mounted for drill chucks, and I have to stop & remove them from the chuck when switching. This way, I'll just twist on & off. Easy as pie! Thanks for posting this, Jim. Fantastic idea!!!

Jim:

I made my own system too. Not sure where you got your buffing wheels, but I got mine from http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/

I also picked up the buffing mushrooms that fit my drill and are great for the inside of bowls. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Good old yankee ingenuity! Oh wait a minute, Good old southern boy ingenuity!

My cheap buffing system

Greg,
    Wow,thanx for posting the link.Thats just what I've been looking for.Great prices and a heck of a variety.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
    Greg,
    Wow,thanx for posting the link.Thats just what I've been looking for.Great prices and a heck of a variety.
    Greg

Greg:

Watch for sales as they have 2 for 1 deals every once in a while.

Greg

Got the buffing wheels, and the compound all at Sears.... again, all for less than $20.

Not really knocking the Beall stuff or the Don Pencil stuff, just sayin' you don't hafta spend a lot of money to get some buffing done.

Good point on the chuck banging the bowls too... I've banged a finger or two myself...

I'll have to get a set of those taps... They're handy for all sorts of stuff eh?

Buffing

Jim,
    Congrats on your creation.
    Beautiful turning!
    There is a huge difference between what you have created and the Beale or Don Pencil Wood N Things Buffing Systems. None the less, if this is doing all that you require then you have done yourself and your fellow turners a great service.
    I am often pleased at the creativity of turners and woodworkers when it comes to jigs and tooling.
    I often wish I had the time it takes to make these inexpensive devices.
    If I had only chosen to stay with shallow bowls I would not have needed to invest those extra dollars in a professional buffing system that will buff the inside of my 16" deep bowls. What was I thinking?

Keep up the good work.

Don
    Don Pencil
    DON PENCIL WOODTURNING, LLC

Don,

I'm sure that my setup isn't as good as the Bealle or the Pencil systems. For one thing the wheel is smaller. And perhaps the quality of the wheel is less than ideal. I don't really know since I've not used either of those systems.

But I am a person who has always been on a shoestring budget, and I'm always looking for a way to make the dollar squeal... Plus I just like tinkering with stuff. Making the jigs and fixtures is almost as fun as turning itself.

Perhaps when I start making containers big enough to hold a small child, I'll invest in a deep bowl turning buff system....

It's all about quality

Jim,
    I too am pleased to find turners who know the value of a dollar. Fortunately for the manufactures of woodturning products most of them want good value for for their dollar and take pride in achieving the best possible results with them. There is an ongoing discussion on this and other sites as to which product is the best in its field and where can it be found at the best price. I do not often read a thread where someone is looking for the least effective product for the lowest possible price. If the quality of finish you get, the extra time it takes to do that, the greatly reduced life of the materials, and the options you have when buffing your works then your off and running.
    Fortunately for the manufacturers of woodturning products very few fit in that niche. If the opposite were true no one would manufacture woodturning products. You and the rest of us would be into pottery until there was no profit there either for the manufacturers and then off to whatever.

Be Well,
    Don
    Don Pencil
    DON PENCIL WOODTURNING, LLC

Sears has a work arbor with a #2 morse taper (it comes in their drill chuck kit too) that you can mount a buff on, if you don't want to risk bumping your chuck.