Thread: Need light fixture suggestions

Need light fixture suggestions

I removed the dropped ceiling in the shop (basement) this weekend. Lots of good reasons for doing so: Wasn't properly installed (the previous homeowner had done the work and much of it was held up with thumbtacks! and liquid nails!), the tiles were styrofoam (a fire hazard), the thing consumed about 4-5" of precious headroom, etc.

One of the cheap things the previous homeowner had done when installing things was use three 2 x 48" (t-12) hanging fixtures (the cheap ones intended to be hung w/ chains), hung between the ceiling joists. Then he installed the plastic diffuser panels in the ceiling.

When I first looked through the house, I had thought these were "troffer" fixtures like I'm accustomed to seeing in dropped ceilings.

But in reality, this guy's solution worked pretty well. The diffusers really spread the light out, and they prevented sore eyes that result when your eyes see the bulbs.

So I'd like to replace the fixtures w/ something that has a built-in diffuser.

My preference would be something that would fit between the ceiling joists, and maybe have straps that would keep the bottom of the diffuser flush w/ the bottom of the joist.

I guess I'm looking for something like a troffer that goes between joists and has some built-in grid thingy and a diffuser. I know, it is a long shot.

Any suggestions for something out there that would fit the bill?

There are recessed FL fixtures but I not sure how well they would do, a Lithonia LB series wraparound is low profile, & is a decent fixture, there are cheaper wraps at the borg but you get what you pay for......