Thread: Santa's Workshop: 18 pens this weekend

Santa's Workshop: 18 pens this weekend

I'm new to turning, but I justified the purchase of the lathe by telling my wife that I'd make pens for Christmas presents. Thus the bank account and all of us would be happy. So it's Thanksgiving weekend and its time to perform on the deal!

Thursday and Friday I cut out and bored 40 blanks. Today I turned 18 pens! I'm very enthusiastic about the project because it means that I can put some treasured cherry to very good use. I know that I'm not alone here. Many of you hang on to wood for a very long time. This cherry has been with me since 1978! The photo below shows the cherry tree in 1965 (I'm the handsome guy on the mower). It was on the property in 1943 when Dad bought the place. In 1978, the old tree came down, and Dad sawed some of the best limbs into lumber. Unfortunately limbs do not make good lumber! The lumber was very twisty, and didn't make it into any furniture, that's for sure.

But pens? That's a different story. This Christmas about forty family members will get a piece of this family tree. It was the playground, gathering area, and picnic site for countless family events over the years.

Duane McGuire

Great looking pens Duane. What a great gift with some great history behind it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks like a great treasure from a place all will remember. Nice gifts.

Great idea... I'll bet the pens are a big hit. Pretty sneaky way to get a new tool. Everybody wins.

Duane - great looking pens! Nothing like making personalized Christmas presents that have a family history attached! I am sure these pens will be treasured! Nice work! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wow! 18 pens in one day. Impressive!

I spent all day working on my first bowl.

Great story and great gift! I'm sure your family will love them.

John

Nice job on the pens - I'm sure those that receive a pen will love it.

Very nice pens! 18 in one weekend, wow. I managed 2. The family conection canges them from valuable to priceless.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Great looking pens... Even more wonderful with that story behind it.
    Billy

That's a great story behind those pens, that makes it even more special of a gift. It helps that the pens look good too!

Thanks to all for your nice comments. I appreciate the opportunity to share the joy I find in this craft.

Only 22 pens to go and 24 shopping days left.
    Duane McGuire

Those are nice looking pens, but I think the story behind them is even better. To me, holding an old tool a deceased relative held or a piece of wood turned into something that has sentimental value is priceless and should be passed on for generations!
    Michael
    Bellaire, TX