Thread: Jim Biddle Can't Post

Jim Biddle Can't Post

Jim Biddle send me an email and asked me to post for him. Something is wrong with his account and he can't reply or post. Oddly, his profile also can't be found searching the member list either.

Matt,

Jim couldn't post, probably because he changed his email address or his password and failed to return the message the vBulletin requires to confirm the change. His account status was tagged as "Waiting for Confirmation", that is why he didn't show up on our Members list.

I manually updated his account.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-30-2009 at 1:08 PM.

Thanks Keith, I'll let him know. I know he switched to the same provider I use recently, and I know from experience that that type of message gets flagged as spam so he must have missed it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Matt,

Jim couldn't post, probably because he changed his email address or his password and failed to return the message the vBulletin requires to confirm the change. His account status was tagged as "Waiting for Confirmation", that is why he didn't shop up on our Members list.

I just came across this. As if I didn't have enough reasons to love The Creek! Keith, you and the rest of The Creek staff and moderators are awesome. Thanks again for such a wonderful site!

This goes to show that you guys are constantly going the extra mile to help people out.

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Thanks Guy,

We probably average a dozen of these types of fixes per day which is about what you would expect from a group of 49,000 people

Keith,

There is something wrong with the module that e-mails confirmation of the e-mail address change. I had the same thing happen to me, and there is no contact e-mail listed on SMC to allow you to contact someone to let them know you have been frozen out of your account and that you never received the e-mail switch.

I made the e-mail switch on multiple vbulletin boards on the same day, and received confirmation e-mails from all of them except SMC, so that leads me to believe that SMC is either being filtered from Gmail (unlikely), or there is a problem with the e-mail module on SMC. I ultimately found Jim Becker's e-mail address from his website and asked him to help. Otherwise, I would have been off the 'Creek without a paddle!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Matt,

Jim couldn't post, probably because he changed his email address or his password and failed to return the message the vBulletin requires to confirm the change. His account status was tagged as "Waiting for Confirmation", that is why he didn't show up on our Members list.

vBulletin seems to be particularly good at getting filtered out by certain service providers ... Comcast being one of the major ones. The account confirmation messages seem to be particularly prone to being filtered out, though I haven't noticed problems with SMC (I have with other vBulletin sites). Gmail shouldn't be filtering anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Gmail shouldn't be filtering anything.
    Not filtering, but it does love to mark them as spam which causes them to get lost between the fake viagara ads.

Homer,

There is a Contact Us link at the bottom of every page and it is working to the tune of hundreds of emails received every day.

We can't answer them all, we try but it is impossible. Periodically we change the address but the spammers find the new address as quick as we change it.

Then there are those who curse and complain, at least a hundred of them every day.

We try to answer every honest email request but it is an impossible job. Most people who have been here awhile have figured out how to find my email address and I try to help them the best I can....Contributors have first priority for Private Messages and Email response.

I'm not surprised that some mail services would either block or list The Creek as a spammer. Our mail server stays very busy servicing 49,000 people.
    Oops, make that over 50,000 people
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-01-2009 at 1:12 PM.

I'm back in! Thanks for the help Keith and Matt. It never occurred to me that the problem was tied to my email address change.