Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mancave update

Mancave update

looking good. I can smell sawdust already
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Mancave update

Sorry about the seperate post, i must have pressed the wrong button. Anyways, things are going pretty well. We finished the brick laying along with the vinyl siding and also finished the aluminum door,freize board and sill trim. I also have the inside completely wired and a couple of days ago buried the electrical pvc and run the #2 copper tray cable along with the cable coax / cat 5 phone line from the house to the shop. The insulation dude will be here Tuesday to blow the insulation in the walls. Looks like i may be able to start drywalling later in the week. I'll post more pics as i progress more throughout the build.

Good progress! Looks very nice. Won't be long 'til we are seeing pictures with tools! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Looking great so far! Just got to wonder though. You aren't using that Geo Metro to fetch materials for the project are you?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    That is looking great! I really like the eves over the doors, great idea!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Looks beautiful and roomy.

Is the upstairs being finished also or is it just a very generous attic space?

Mancave update

Yes, the ole' metro is a real workhorse. It's not pretty but it's my steel mill car. I'm a 21 year veteran of the steel industry ( all in melting and casting) and i'm not about to drive my new truck out to work. As far as the upstairs I'll Probably finish it out after the first of the year. I have electric, cable and phone service upstairs but i haven't decided what to do with the upstairs. Any suggestions are welcomed

Looks great, Michael. How big is the building and what height is your ceiling...for the downstairs?

Upstairs? I would say, office/planning room, big screen TV, bar, pool table...hey, you said it was a Mancave...why stop at a shop?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Looks great, Michael. How big is the building and what height is your ceiling...for the downstairs?

Upstairs? I would say, office/planning room, big screen TV, bar, pool table...hey, you said it was a Mancave...why stop at a shop?
    Downstairs is 24x36 with a 9' ceiling. All i can say about the big screen TV,bar and pool table is AMEN,BROTHER

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Roth View Post
    Yes, the ole' metro is a real workhorse. It's not pretty but it's my steel mill car. I'm a 21 year veteran of the steel industry ( all in melting and casting) and i'm not about to drive my new truck out to work. As far as the upstairs I'll Probably finish it out after the first of the year. I have electric, cable and phone service upstairs but i haven't decided what to do with the upstairs. Any suggestions are welcomed
    Large stove, sink, kegging equipment, kegerator, and a TV... Like there was any reasonable answer other than that... :-)
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I made the mistake of making my building 24 x 30 (OD). With 2 x 6 walls, siding, and interior wall covering, that makes the ID 22.5 x 28.5. I really wish I had gone juuuuuust a little wider and 6 feet longer. Would have make a huge difference.

And for all you guys thinking how you would love to have a 24 x 30 shop that think I'm whining...yeah, OK, maybe I am, but I'm the kind of person that can't have my tools up against the wall and roll them out whenever I need them... I would never do it. I just wouldn't go out to the shop. The thought of it would keep me from going. At my last job (I call it a job very loosly...more like daycare) we had about a 10,000 foot shop...for a boss (usually in his office) 3 full timers and a part timer. So, yes, I'm spoiled...

Anyway, the point is, congrats on going 36 in length. Smart choice.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    I made the mistake of making my building 24 x 30 (OD). With 2 x 6 walls, siding, and interior wall covering, that makes the ID 22.5 x 28.5. I really wish I had gone juuuuuust a little wider and 6 feet longer. Would have make a huge difference.

And for all you guys thinking how you would love to have a 24 x 30 shop that think I'm whining...yeah, OK, maybe I am, but I'm the kind of person that can't have my tools up against the wall and roll them out whenever I need them... I would never do it. I just wouldn't go out to the shop. The thought of it would keep me from going. At my last job (I call it a job very loosly...more like daycare) we had about a 10,000 foot shop...for a boss (usually in his office) 3 full timers and a part timer. So, yes, I'm spoiled...

Anyway, the point is, congrats on going 36 in length. Smart choice.
    I started to build 30x40 but i was afraid the front of the shop would be bigger than my house so i scaled down to 24x36. Looking at the finished outside part of the building compared with the house i could have done a 30x40 and it probably would have looked OK. But when i decided to build the shop 70% of the blast furnaces in north america were shut down and the steel business came to a complete stop. I decided to scale down, get the building done with what money i had saved and build the shop and not owe a dime on it. I have a pretty good sized lot and i can always add on later if i should decide i need more room.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Large stove, sink, kegging equipment, kegerator, and a TV... Like there was any reasonable answer other than that... :-)
    Now that's what i'm talkin about.........MANNNNN CAVEEEEEE.........

Yeah'
    Steel mills went the way of the glass industry.
    (Father: Every glass house in Md. X 35 years)
    (Father-n-Law: ARMCO Steel X 53 years)

Real nice future shop/'retirement home'!
    I'm drawing up my plans as we speak...
    Dan Manning