Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramone Burl

1. Ramone Burl

This was my first experience with this wood. Hard as a rock - had to sharpen up several times before the hollowing was done. It made dust like MDF and was irritating to my eyes and nose. Comments, suggestions, critiques all welcomed.

The Ramones were always a tough group, hard to wear down.

Love the wood. How did you come by it?

I would say you have a beauty here. Very nice. Also suggest that if you don't have some sort of breathing protection you get some soon. Long term exposure is not good. Great HF.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Sparkman View Post
    Love the wood. How did you come by it?
    Found it on e-bay a good while back...

That's just plain gorgeous Mark!

You've sure been cranking out some incredible pieces!

Talking dust

really nice burl and workmanship--really. buy yoself a window fan and mount in on an outside wall (exhausting) just in front of your turning lathe. no more dust! that stuff will kill you!

Mark - beautiful work - as always! Quite the wood! Really like your orientation on this!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

So mark, very nice work. Could you tell us what were the speeds you used shaping this piece especially around the open spots in the vase. And also if the wood was very hard, what tolls were used?
    Thanks,
    Bill Wilcox

never heard of it, glad you pushed through the pain because it looks worth it, nice job.

10. Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    buy yoself a window fan and mount in on an outside wall (exhausting) just in front of your turning lathe.
    That's exactly what I have right now... but this piece made an extra ordinary amount of dust. I wore a dust mask while turning/sanding, but it still was irritating. I have a Trend that has dead batteries, but after turning this piece I'm ordering some new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wilcox View Post
    Could you tell us what were the speeds you used shaping this piece especially around the open spots in the vase. And also if the wood was very hard, what tolls were used?
    Don't know for sure, but I typically stay in the 700-900rpm range both inside and out.

For hollowing I use a homemade Jamieson style hollowing setup with Don Pencil boring bars.

very nice, you did a good job with the collar so close to the void

Looks good. That is one you have to finish the inside because fingers can get farther than just into the neck opening.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

Beautiful piece as usual Mark. Really like the void and wood on this one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful wood. Really nice shape and finish.

Amazing. It's beauiful wood, and you've definitely done it justice. I get nervous just looking at that thin bridge between the opening and void. Thanks for posting